Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whole new internet system?

• Please log in to reply

RyanHess

RyanHess

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Is it not about time someone like Bill Gates created a 'new internet' completely separate to the current one? where EVERY website hosted on the system is thoroughly checked by a team of workers, and only hosted by them and not by the creator, hence every change goes through them, so there are zero viruses, no offensive material etc. I know it would seem like no-body would put anything on because it would be complicated, but even if it didnt have the capacity of the internet we have now, it would allow some people who do not have internet at all because of these reasons to have access to safe internet? maybe a subsidy from the government for sites being added? Ive only just thought about this now, so dont get at me if its a lame thought, but i just wondered what people think about an idea like this :whistling:

Edited by RyanHess, 21 July 2006 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
One of the incredible things about the Internet is the diversity. Take that away and put "big brother" in charge, and we'll only see what TPTB want us to see- kinda smacks of George Orwell's "1984", huh?

Johanna

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you dont have to have someone checking sites not to get viruses just be careful when you surf and take proper precautions, and offensive content apart from paedophilia there isnt much i think you could safely censor as something thats offensive to one person almost certainly isnt offensive to someone else.

So who would decide whats offensive, also logistics there are billions of internet pages maybe more it would take a very long time even with thousands on the job to check every website, you would neuter the internet thats not a good thing its one of the few places of utterly free speach man has ever known personally i want it to continue just the way it is, although it would be nice if it was faster and a little cheaper.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Isn't this what AOL originally did?
Offer a few pre-approved sites to look at. In any case it didn't work as people prefered the real internet.
Also some service providers (like mine: bigpond.com) offer similar pre approved sites that have music movies games ect. that don't contribute to your download limit.
Fixing the problems we have now would be a better investment than creating a new one.

bbs

RyanHess

RyanHess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

One of the incredible things about the Internet is the diversity. Take that away and put "big brother" in charge, and we'll only see what TPTB want us to see- kinda smacks of George Orwell's "1984", huh?

Johanna

I didnt say take it away, you would still have the original internet aswell. and anyway, it was only a passing idea

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Regulation will probably come as anything the government can control first can then be taxed later. In Europe two ideas are on the table, an email tax and the blocking of sicksite content. But malware has a very low priority with governments, too many governments, ever changing malware, so it is a nonstarter.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
George Orwell's book, 1984 was a great read :whistling:
Getting back on topic, I have mixed emotions on this topic.
I'd like it because it would take away the spyware, adware and virus situation or place sever limitations for the time being and put an end of [bleep] graphic images. Wouldn't it be great if the world worked so well?! To bad it doesn't. Gouverments would soon take advantage of this and start sencering what they want us to hear and what they don't. Making it hard for us to justify whats right and wrong out there because we wouldn't be getting the full story. I have to admit it, i get 90% of my news from the internet because its up to the minute......getting off topic again......But the truth of it's, you block it and they'll get around it. There is to much out there for everyone to scan. Content can change in a heart beat and they cannot view every single page in a heart beat. What it comes down to me is, we'll lose freedom of speech on the internet and other rights if we let the gouverments begin to inforce sencorship. Just like there is no way to catch every criminal there is no way to stop all the problems on the internet, lack of ressorces as usual. So we'd end up giving what we have and getting back something less......much less. Not to mention no gain of some kind of a sence of security. The web is a great place, it can however be used for the wrong reasons, and thats when you get into trouble.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 July 2006 - 09:15 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that would be the first step towards mandates censorship...in china "the internet" is filtered..you can't go to any "unnaproved" websites from a chinese ip...and if you somehow do get to one...expect a knock on your door....if there were a "central hosting and policing" orgonization...then you would see ALOT of censorship..no matter what their original purpose would cause....it would be the death of the internet as we know it

RyanHess

RyanHess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

....it would be the death of the internet as we know it

going back to my original post that wouldnt be the case. I said it would be as well as the internet we have now. but i dont know where i stand on this issue, thanks for your views