Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End of the Internet

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Its amazing, the speed and accessibility of the Internet these days. I can remember when waiting for dialup turned into a day project. I would actually have to schedule time to check email. I would always dread seeing an attachment, fully knowing that alot of my day was going to be wasted. Sure click get up and walk around or find something else to do, then forget about it and be kicked off. Not to mention the cost per minute. But now, with broadband access, the Internet seems more on my side. I go where I please download what I want and no one can stop me.

No more waiting, HAHAHAHA Internet...I own YOU now.

Except the other day...

I have a 3 month old son, my first! :whistling:

So now I do not spend as much time browsing and surfing as I used to. But I had some time during his nap and I check my mail, log into work, read a couple of my standard sites and decided to browse....There was a problem...I had no where to go!

Ive seen it all, Ive been there, Ive read it, I have reached the end of the Internet! I feel so lonely, betrayed, and confused. Like a sailor in the 1500's wondering when they are going to fall off the side of the earth.

I feel like there is nothing more to see, I know theres more, but nothing interests me, so my discussion to you is, do you feel the same way?

Where do you visit when you have nothing else to do?

Edited by jaxisland, 02 August 2006 - 09:42 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Ummm...I log on to GeekstoGo and answer questions if I know the answers, look up the answers if I don't, or read the posts from people who know lots more than I do.

I'm gonna tell you something that you may have already heard but anyway- you have a 3 month old child. He sleeps now. Soon he will be walking and talking and though the days can seem long, the time flies by quickly. Soon you will be seeing (and explaining) the world through his eyes and you will get an entirely different perspective than you have now. You will also be exhausted trying to keep up with the brand new mind that wants to soak up every drop of information available to him. Boredom is an adult enemy, not a child's, because everything is new, and you have the challenge of explaining all the abstract concepts you have had years to reconcile to your son, in words he can understand. I wrote this a few years ago:
http://www.johannank...lose to God.htm

I have ten websites online right now, and three more I'm working on. If you are tired of what other people have to say on the 'net, create your own sites. Also Google news never fails to entertain/educate me when I only have a few minutes here or there.

Good topic, thanks for posting.
Johanna

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
G2G has been my Internet savoir recently. I may have been a member since March but almost all my posts have come in the last couple weeks. So logging on and learning / helping when I can is great, so was that link.

As for my son, even now he is so observant and is beginning to learn already.

*******CAUTION******MUSHY / EMOTIONAL CONTENT BELOW READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!******

Just the other day he giggled for the first time and it was truly amazing, to hear his voice for the first time, and now he trys to talk so hard, his personality is amazing.

Being a parent (for this short time) has been amazing and beyond description. Watching him see an animal for the first time on the mobile and try to grab it is an emotional rollar coaster all on its own, truly.... amazing

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
proof positive that i haven't seen everything on the internet...courtesy of johanna

http://www.johannank.../sicaf_sand.wmv

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Where do you visit when you have nothing else to do?

That is the kicker... very little time to do anything other than work, research for work, and research for my side projects.

Kids and family have a tendency to make that happen (I am married with a 11 year old son and 5 year old daughter).

Most of my "spare" time is spent reading things here at GTG as well as a couple other technical forums I frequent as well as some history, US Civil War and Christian websites I like to read things at.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
"...don't ask what can the Internet do for you, ask what you can do for the Internet..." no just joking then but I help out, I reply to posts and add bits to my blog as I do on a few sites now, - for me a site like G2G is like a fancy dress ball, we never meet one another and yet we all build up a mental image about other members, the username, the avator, signature, the writing style, where and what the person replies, etc., then we try to reply in our turn in a way that we think best, we care about our avator, signatures, replies, etc.. So what I am saying is that I agree with your statement that that "there is only so far that you can go before you realize that it's just more of the same" but taking an interest in people side of the Internet opens up perhaps something new for you, it did for me then.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Until a few years ago, I hadn't joined forces with the internet. I'm nearly 50 years old, and didn't have an internet capable computer until 7 years ago. IBM, 10 g hardrive, celeron, nice little machine. Previous to that we had bought an old Texas Instruments machine from some friends, I did play around and could print posters, etc. My own kids were young then, 10 to preteens.
Now I'm actually farely amazed by it all. I'm no genius but I can find my way around on my puter with a little help from you good people, at present a Dell desktop, 80 G, 786 Ram, Pentium4 and I love it too.

Now, I have a nearly 4 year old grandson and I wonder what the future holds for him in the evolution of computers and the internet. I've learned so much in the last 7 years, last 2 especially. Maybe Grandpa can learn with him, ya think??? :whistling:

I've had the same problem of late, boredom. But it's not my life.

Edited by Pluto56, 03 August 2006 - 03:22 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Saw Joanna's link, I guess the real big moments of ones life are the arrivals and departures of ones loved ones, ones children and ones parents.

unearth203

unearth203

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
you could always go to killsometime.com it has funny movies, games and alot of other time killing stuff on there

meerfish

meerfish

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Every time I think I've seen the most depraved, disgusting, warped and hilarious thing imaginable, the internet one-ups itself. Every time. Usually it has to do with goats. Or leather. Or sometimes both :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hey? What's wrong with leather? Leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, and a whole lot of fun to work with.
Johanna
admin of
http://www.leatherworker.net/forum/
(open invitation for all to stop by and learn something about an ancient art)

meerfish

meerfish

• Pip
  • 3 posts
haha it was a joke. I have nothing but respect for leather and the leatherteers of the world.

Actually in all seriousness I was in Florence one time and took a tour of the leather district there. Fascinating stuff :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
OK, Lets get serious here.

End of the Internet

SRX660