Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what's this "Live" stuff?

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
is it some new ad campaign from MS? or are they creating something like a new MSN to go with Windows Vista? can someone tell me in complete detail wat this LIVE stuff is? i dont understand a thing about it, plus its all beta, which makes me think there's still a lot to come. also, can someone tell me if GMail is beta or not?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Gmail is still called Beta, but I think Google has worked out the bugs. I think gmail will set the standard for email clients someday. Unfortunately, using gmail will further discourage people from backing up data, since the email is stored online. (For the life of me I don't understand why people get gmail and forward all their the mail routinely to Outlook Express!)

Have you tried Google for the answer to "what is Windows Live?" I found it on www.live.com (wonder what that domain name cost!!)
http://get.live.com/?mkt=en-us
Johanna

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i've managed to go thru almost all Live related pages, but i still dont get it. all i understood were the silly statements like "Your Space" "Your Contacts" etc etc. can u xplain it all to me? someone?

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Windows_live

hope this helps other people too.
just a question: do i lose my hotmail/msn accounts etc. once this live stuff replaces msn?

LONG LIVE WIKIPEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by badben25, 15 August 2006 - 01:49 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Live is a rebranding your hotmail account becomes a Live account but its still hotmail its just a new client with better features, messenger is still messenger its just got a new brand name all the old stuff is carried fordward and the new name and features are just added onto it.

Ive allready got live mail to replace my hotmail and its allright better than hotmail anyway, and messenger live is just the same to me now windows look slightly better and there is some better features.

Gmail is coming out of beta slowly i beleive Australie and New zealand are allready just out of Beta and people there can register without invitations, Gmail has been out of beta for a while they just kept the beta name because they want to slowly build it up to complete open sign ups rather than getting absolutley bombed with applications all at once with a global release. The only change to gmail once out of beta is there wont be invitations anymore.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
In my opinion, Live is Microsoft's strategy for software and services -- that aren't shrink wrapped. Not their traditional market. It's also an all encompassing term for their Internet strategy. There are currently 24 Live services in beta, and it's estimated about 48 in development. Windows Live simply started as Microsoft's answer to Google, but has become much more. It's mostly services that can be offered online and supported with advertising. (although, they could just as easily be offered as a pay service -- see Xbox 360).

It's also Microsoft's version of the Web 2.0, where information and programs are stored on a server, rather than locally. Windows Live services will be direct competitors for many of Google services. Who are they targeting besides Google? Just companies like MySpace, eBay, Craig's List, AOL, Symantec, YouTube, and even forums like this (Live Search Answers). There may even be an advertising supported version of Windows (and will likely be one for Office). Much like Google's often released beta's, I'm sure some Windows Live services will become popular, and others will simply fade away.

Xbox 360 Live will someday enable you to check your gamertag on your cell phone, and even play some multi-player games. It will also enable muliti-player games online between PC and Xbox players. It currently allows mulit-player between 360's, downloading of games, and an online community. All for a monthy fee.

If you haven't heard much about Live yet, you will. The future of Microsoft may depend on it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Badben25 Sorry to be asking followup questions of your thread.

in other words is everyone saying here that "live" is just the program on the server as opposed to the same program in the user's comp, if so:

1) I wonder how MS will make money if the need to have the application on ones computer disapears, a clear example being live "Office apps".

2)I am dying to know if this "live" idea will also cut down the malware problem or add to it?(Just your oppinion needed, no details)

3)Also, would it decrease the need to have a great power large capasity comp, except for gaming?