Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which codec?!

• Please log in to reply

Chibi Says Mew

Chibi Says Mew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this in..

Alright, I make FMV's for fun, and I often torrent movies and CGI from video games to make them into music videos (usually Square-Enix stuff, because I'm a nerd like that). Anywho. At the beginning of the month I decided to torrent the English version Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children so I can make FMV's from it, because I was having a hard time ripping the movie from my copy of the DVD. The file I torrented was in AVI format, and it wouldn't play in my Winamp or Windows Media Player; only in my VLC media player, which has, like, every codec ever made built into it. I tried importing the file into my Collections on Windows Movie Maker and this error came up:

The file C:\Documents and Settings\***\*******\FF7ACENG\Final.Fantasy.VII-Advent.Children.DvDrip.AC3[Eng]-aXXo.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

Now, my question is, which codec do I need? I've tried downloading and installing several different codec packs and bundles, but to no avail. Is there any other way I can do this without having to download more crap onto my computer only to find that it doesn't work? My poor Add or Remove Programs function needs a rest. :whistling:

Any and all help here would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements