Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC Cannot boot up unless I go into safe mode. HELP

• Please log in to reply

Dario04

Dario04

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, here's the story...

About 2 days ago.. I decided to change my internet browser back to Internet explorer after trying out Mozilla firefox. I did so, and I got the regular Windows Update screen which follows after you change your browser back to Internet explorer.

I chose to install 5 optional updates... 1 was for my ATI Radeon X600 Graphics card (which contained 2 updates), and the other 3 were for my Windows XP Media Center edition 2005.

My computer, when rebooted, gave me the BSOD. I was terrified and at the same time was wondering, ah what the [bleep] could be wrong.

At the bottom, it said ATI and a bunch of codes, so I assumed that it was a problem with the updates that came with my graphics.

Turns out I was right, so I did a system restore back to before I updated it... I cleaned my computer up once again ( since that's what I was doing in the first place since it was sluggish, and no I did not delete anything important), only this time, I decided to download the updates that were for my XP... All the while, after they did download and update, I did not restart my computer right away, reassured of my success, and was browsing my computer for as long as possible before bed. I turned off my pc, and went to sleep..

When I turned the computer on yesterday morning, I was greeted delightfully by my computer not being able to boot up.

This is what happened.

1.) I turned my computer on
2.) It came on, and made it all the way to the Windows Logo screen
3.) When about to go to the username and password section of my computer, it stopped, and on my screen said "Out of Range"... (Normally it says, "No Signal Detected" when everything's fine....) And after it said Out of Range, my computer made a low pitched whirring noise as if shutting down, and brought me back to re-boot again. After that, I got the black screen automatically that said Windows could not start up. It told me it may have been a problem with my hardrive or configuration settings (something like that).. and let me choose the options you would normally get when tapping F8 repeatedly.

I tried quite a few ways to try to get into my Windows, but if I chose "Last known good configurations" or "Start Windows Normally"... it would just do the same thing.

So I put in Safe mode with Networking, and surprisingly, it worked. That ALMOSTT assured me that it wasn't something with my harddrive... But right now, it's making me believe that it is. Maybe it's something with my RAM capacity, or just that my computer couldn't load everything because of the memory itself... I have no clue. I am on another tech support forum and they're not helping me at all since they're hardly answering, so any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Anyways...

System Specs:
Intel® Pentium®4 3.20GHZ, 3.20GHZ, 512MB RAM <--- this is what I think may just be the problem.. Not even 512 is that great anymore.
7200RPM with my 512mb of RAM
ATI Radeon X600 Graphics Card
My computer is an MDG.

Thanks!

Edited by Dario04, 27 August 2006 - 10:35 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the ATI software from the software CD if you can get safe mode with networking

Out of range can be when a video card is set to a high resolution but fails to load and the onboard graphics isn't enabled or the resolution is above the scope of onboard graphics

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So you're saying you think it's something with my Graphics card?

I guess I'll have to find the CD, but if I don't have it then what else can I do...Actually, I don't ever remember getting my graphics card software CD with it....

Maybe I should re-install my Windows? If I do that, it may work, but will I still have my Graphics card?... or is there any way I can change my Graphics resolution WHILE in safe mode?

Edited by Dario04, 27 August 2006 - 10:39 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the desktop, click properties, settings, change it to 800 by 600, click apply and reboot

Safe mode with networking should let you go online to get them from ATI

Save the download because it may say about removing the previous version

If you are lucky it will say the files already exist do you want to overwrite them, click yes to all

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, I will do all this, but if possible.... could you explain these 2 things.

1.) If I do the 800X600, will it be a huge difference for the look of my PC, and will I be able to normally log into Windows? (stupid question, and I doubt it.. but I'm curious)
2.) What do I have to install from the site... I'm not sure what to do when I get there, could you possibly help me out with that?

Thanks...

I will do the screen resolution and reboot now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Installing from the site won't be a problem, even if you have to do it in safe mode with networking

You can do that now if you like from here, remember to save the file in case it won't install straight off and you need to make other adjustments first

http://www.filehippo...d_ati_catalyst/

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok so once it's done downloading, I start it up and install those.. if I'm lucky I get the message, if not that means I'm installing them for the first time and it won't be a problem?

BTW, I saw that the 800x600 contains huge text and images on the desktop on the resolution...will I be able to change it, and still have it work if or when I fix this problem? (Will I be able to change it back...?)

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Holy crap now what...

Ok it said something similar to this

" INF Error
Video Driver not found"

"Setup was unable to complete the installation
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"

The message was similar to this... what do I do now????

Edited by Dario04, 27 August 2006 - 11:00 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This could be the easiest way, go back before the updates and when you use Microsoft Update, leave the ATI ones

It shows ATI update for me which are well out of date

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Wait so what exactly am I trying to do.

I already did a system restore to before the updates, and I couldn't get onto the computer... So I went back to the 22nd when I didn't have any of this up, and I still got the same message.

Do I have to do what you just said, because I don't want to do it for no reason.... or what? I'm just checking to make sure.

With the command prompt, is it just taking me back to a system restore.....It doesn't help, and I've tried quite a few of them...

So what do I do instead...any ideas?
BTW, thanks alot for all the help so far man.

Edited by Dario04, 27 August 2006 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save this

http://www5.spread-i...9e872b4cc94616c

Run it and reboot

Install the ATI file you downloaded

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok [bleep]... this is the error message I got...

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occu if you are running Windows in Safe Mode, or if the Windows Installer is not currently installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

So I guess it won't work because I'm in safe mode then... what can I do now?

EDIT: Wait a second... now all of a sudden it says I need to reboot for the changes to take effect. I will do it but I don't know if it will work because of the error message.... for when I come back, how will I know if it worked or not? When I install the Catalyst drivers from the first file you sent me?

Edited by Dario04, 27 August 2006 - 11:22 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The file I sent will uninstall

The file you downloaded from filehippo will install

See how it reboots

Use safe mode with networking to install otherwise

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok I will report the situation back to you. Right now, all I can say is that you're a genious!!!!

It worked, and my PC is up and running.. now all I need is to install the first file you sent me because I'm currently getting an error message... once I'm done that and I reboot, I will respond.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the error message?