Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helping my dad find a laptop for his business...

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
My dad's a financial advisor (W.F.G.), and he's looking to buy all these fancy laptops for his business laptop, and I just told him that he doesn't need that big of a computer. He was looking to buy a $799 DELL computer that includes "120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, and Celeron" He's sold on Celeron computers being so nice.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me to show my dad? Nothing over $800 would be nice. He doesn't need TOO much Hard Drive space, but I'm sure he wouldn't want anything so "small" (to him) such as 50GB.

He doesn't own the company so he doesn't have too many clients, so he wouldn't need to much.

Thanks to any suggestions. :whistling:

Advertisements

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Actually, those specifications sounded good: 120 GB HD, 1GB of RAM, but Celeron isn't that great. He should get a HP Pavillion with at least a 100GB HD, with at least 512 memory (DDR2 preferablly). With at least a 2.0 GHz processor.

Here's a decent notebook/laptop:

DV6000t Series HP Pavillion Notebook

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 10 September 2006 - 05:25 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I am a real skinflint so I would say that that is far too much harddrive space on a computer because you father will only fill it up and then when it is infected or goes wrong you will have a hard time backing up stuff to reformat or restore the computer to its original state. The point is not what size the harddrive but that the information is copied to an external harddrive so that when either harddrive dies, and so many do, one has not losted the data. Repeat, normal size harddrive with an external harddrive is better.

Edited by fleamailman, 10 September 2006 - 05:50 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Here's my suggestion. Stay away from Dell, HP, and Compaq. Neither of them have very wonderful reliability ratings according to my research. Sure, there are some people who get lucky and never have a problem, but that can't stand up to the majority. I would say to stick with Toshiba, IBM, and Sony. They have the fewest reported issues and have decent support as well.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
thanks.