Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MAC Keeps Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply

kjmom57

kjmom57

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
My son has a MAC (OSX) browser is Safari. For the last 3 weeks or so it will shut down for no reason. It sounds like a virus but do MAC's get them? How can he check to see what's wrong.

Advertisements

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
does it happen on a certain site? or just on any site

does it show a message and you can hit re-open or send probelm to apple.

macs do have viruses but it is more likely you wont be infected by one.

make sure you have all current software updates installed

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It shuts down no matter what site and appears totally random. It can happen twice in an hour, or it can go 12 hours before it does it. No message box pops up as the whole computer shuts down, not just the internet connection. The computer actually turns off. Any idea what this could be or how to fix it?

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
are you running mac tiger?

and what version 10.4.7?

have you installed all the updates?

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Im not too mac savvy, but anytime a computer randomly shuts down, the first thing that I think of is a heating issue. Make sure that the mac is in a well ventilated area where air can freely circulate around it.

And ankush patel, I apologize for stepping it :whistling:

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ankush,
Yes to all of your questions.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
If you are running a new macbook or macbookpro it may be a problem called random shutdown symptom, bring it into apple care and they'll replace it... if it is a differnt model it may still be this problem so tell apple care and get it fix...

it should be this problem as long as their is no error message or anything before it shuts down...

the maccast.com podcast has been talking about this problem for the last couple episodes

good luck thenome

Edited by Josiah, 30 September 2006 - 07:33 AM.

jessjamesjake

jessjamesjake

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I found this site today and am thrilled about it! This is my first post but I wanted to let you know that my imac is doing the exact same thing. Did you take it into the Genius Bar yet?
It keeps shutting down, about twice an hour and then not again for 1-2 days! No "send this bug to Apple" pop up, no "this computer was shut off improperly" reminder. Nothing.

Mine is only 6 months old, so this is totally frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ciccie

ciccie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have an imac and it wasn't used for approx. 2 to 3 months. When I try to start it opens to the desk top and then shuts off completely. Then when I try to restart it I only get the light blink from the start button and it immediately shuts down. After a few attempts the whole thing acts dead. I get nothing. Then a day or two later I try with the same results. Anyone have any ideas of what is going on here? This is a G5 10.4.11.

Thanks
Ciccie

DasFamiliar

DasFamiliar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Actually its not a virus.

What is going is on OS X, it sounds like the Cache files on the Cache folder have become corrupted. And no worries its an easy fix!

First thing you want to do is start your computer and hold shift to boot into Safe Boot. Then log into your son's user account. Go to Mac Hard drive icon>Users>Your son's username>Library. You should see a folder called "Caches". Click and drag that folder the desktop. Then reboot your machine. Log into your son's account again, and try Safari. It should stop crashing at that point.

Once that is verified, you can just take the "Caches" folder and throw it in the trash. And that should fix the issue! :) - DasFamiliar

klikz&danja

klikz&danja

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Actually its not a virus.

What is going is on OS X, it sounds like the Cache files on the Cache folder have become corrupted. And no worries its an easy fix!

First thing you want to do is start your computer and hold shift to boot into Safe Boot. Then log into your son's user account. Go to Mac Hard drive icon>Users>Your son's username>Library. You should see a folder called "Caches". Click and drag that folder the desktop. Then reboot your machine. Log into your son's account again, and try Safari. It should stop crashing at that point.

Once that is verified, you can just take the "Caches" folder and throw it in the trash. And that should fix the issue! :) - DasFamiliar

DasFamiliar, i realise this a super old posst, but i haave just incountered this problem, i tried your simple steps to fixing the problem, but no, im thinking i have a new keyboard, and maybe Holding shift isent putting it into Safty Boot, what should happen when Safty boot starts?

computerxpds

computerxpds

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 44 posts
Hi,

You most likely should have started a new topic considering how old this one is but,,, To boot into safe mode on any mac read this article from apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455 :)

ranietka

ranietka

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Possible causes

in the Dock
go to
System Prefces

find Energy Saver
u hv TWO sections : Battery and Power Adapter

in each section look at the four lines where you check the squares on the left side

try UNCHECKING
the
"Put the hard disks to sleep when possible
and
"Restart auto...ly if ... freezes
----------------------

second possible cause

in the Dock
go to
System Prefces

find
Sharing
and
UNCHECK all the squares on the left
so that nobody in your neighborhood could go into your MacBook and use it in some unknown way by Sharing it.

I am not an authority on this subject
and CANNOT guarantee
that evthg will work
but here i am
after booting in Safe mode
working for 20 minutes
on battery only
and nothing is happening
while only an hour ago I was mad at my brand new Macbook air after it started shutting down unexpectedly.

I suspect the advice about the Caches - see below - also works but i could not get to the Library and Caches even by trying the Finder

overwatch70

overwatch70

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hi,  new here

first, I have an early 2005 2.3 G5 tiger 10.4.11. this machine has been stored a number of times for months. Recently unpacked and started using for older apps. had the same problems with the machine shutting down without any notice. Like the power just cut off. All this within an hour of using or letting it sit. Never happened before, even after storage for 6-8 months during both winter and summer.

I used the suggestions about setting the power to REDUCED, and connecting the G5 directly into the wall socket. For the last 5 of hours, it hasn’t shut down.  

The only difference from the last time I used the computer was the recent purchase and use of a small surge protector. All 8 of the outlets on it are being used along with a connected power bar that is also maxed out. The last surge I had the G5 connect to was a larger APC UPS 1000a which apparently was better able to handle the electric load.

the electric current through the surge suppressor seems to have been the issue. Will be getting a better UPS.

hope this helps

EdwardRees

EdwardRees

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Use Google Chrome or FireFox, at least you will be able to recover all data used.