Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Riddle Me This

• Please log in to reply

Shock Box

Shock Box

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
a coumputer keyboard

i heard that one before

Edited by Shock Box, 26 September 2006 - 02:23 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yup....thought it would be fitting here

Shock Box

Shock Box

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
i will try this one

A person lives on the tenth floor of a building. Every day he takes the elevator to go down to the ground floor to go out. When he returns he takes the elevator to the seventh floor and walks up the stairs to reach his apartment on the tenth floor. Only on rainy days does he take the elevator to the tenth floor. He hates the stairs, so why does he do it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe i know this one..but i'll let someone else get it

Aushin

Aushin

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I've heard this one, too. I rather doubt that anyone who hasn't will get it, so I'll go ahead and spoil it:

The man is very short and is unable to reach the 10th floor elevator button except on rainy days (he is carrying an umbrella).

Shock Box

Shock Box

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
your right

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Aushin...your up

Aushin

Aushin

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Sorry this took me so long:

Picture four men in two rooms, all buried up to their necks in sand.

In one room is a man all alone wearing a white hat.

In the other room are the other three men, two are wearing black hats and in-between them the last man who is wearing a white hat. So the picture looks something like this.

Man#1 (Black Hat)___Man 2(White Hat)___Man 3 (Black Hat) ||||| Man 4 (White Hat)

All of the men are facing the same way, none can turn, and none can see through the wall (represented by the |||||). The first man to correctly deduce the color of his hat and give reason for his deduction will be released from his immobile state. None of the men will answer unless they are positive. All of the men are aware that there are 2 White Hats and 2 Black Hats.

Which man will figure out his hat color first and why?

Edited by Aushin, 27 September 2006 - 04:39 PM.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
My reply is based totaly on assumptions.
In the room with three men, I assume that there is light, and possibly sunlight. The man in the middle would see the shadows of the three heads and see that his shadow is different, due to the absorbancy of the black hats. Also the black hats would have a different reflective quality due to the close proximity to the sand (remember buried to the head). So based on the interpitation of this scientific data the man in the middle would conclude that he was wearing the white hat between two black hats.

If this is right, great.
If its wrong, I based it on assumptions, and you know what that word translates to!

matt_h

matt_h

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
The man in the middle as he can see the two black hats.

You dont need to go into the science of shadows.

They are only up to their necks, so they can move their heads. It says that they cannot turn, but that refers to their bodies which are buried

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any of them could technically get the answer right...just because you can't turn and look to the side...doesn't mean you can't look up and see the hat on your own head...unless their skullcaps...or beanies...

Aushin

Aushin

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Guess I wasn't specific enough. Let me add this:

They can't make out the color of the hat on their head. They can't see anywhere except in front of them. Using only knowledge of what they can see in front of them (i.e. the color of everyone's hat that's in front of them) one of these men can logically figure out the color of his hat. Riddle away!

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Is this it......The men in question can still speak...

Either person ..2 or ..3 must speak out and say which color hat they are wearing.
If ..3 looks forward and sees that ..1 and ..2 are wearing the same color hat then he should know that he is wearing the hat of the other color.
If ..1 and .. 2 are white then ..3 knows he is black.
If ..2 waits for a while and ..3 says nothing then ..3 must see that ..1 and ..2 have different color hats.

Therefore, ..2 can speak out saying that he has the other color from ..1.
For example, if ..1 is black then ..2 waits for ..3 to yell white. If ..3 doesn't speak after a little bit of time, then ..2 knows that he ..2 cannot be wearing black so yells white.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Ok, lets try this.....

Man#1

You don't say that the three men in the one room are side by side. So I gather that they are in single file behind each other. I am also assuming that the three men are facing the wall towards where the man#4 is alone. So this enables Man#1 to see what color hats both Man#2 and Man#3 are wearing. If the hat color order is as you describe then Man#1 would know that he has a black hat.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Aushin....Oh..Where..Oh..Where..Oh..Where....Are You..He...He...He