Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD TV delay with older sets

• Please log in to reply

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hey all, I remember reading a solution to add the same delay to older TV sets, at the same rate that HD is delayed. I just added comcast hdtv and one of those flat screen thingy's to the tavern (Im the head janitor) and the delay is horrible compared to the other TV's there. It really makes for bad viewing of sports events.

Comcast suggested that all the sets be upgraded, at the incredible price that HD demands. (also Comcast gets to charge another $20.00 per TV)

I remember seeing a delay device to set the older TV to the same delay. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
$20 per TV for HD? :whistling:

I'd look at satellite.

I have HD through my local cable provider. I think I can maybe explain what's happening. At least where I live the HD signal comes via satellite from a network affiliate in New York city. So for my example it would go:
CBS studio HD signal -> satellite -> NY affiliate -> satellite -> local cable company.
- versus a standard TV signal:
CBS studio std signal -> satellite -> local cable company.

During regular prime-time broadcasting they must record and playback, because it's mostly in-sync. However, during live broadcasts, I notice a delay.

Also, if your using any type of a DVR (digital video recorder) that will also cause a signal delay -vs- live TV.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

I'd look at satellite.

satellite is more expensive, as it is a business account!

I tried to install a "loop-back" device on one of the non-HD tv's, which is supposed to add the same delay that the HD set has when on a HD channel. Apparently this corrupted the signal for the entire building and comcast shut down my HD access.

The problem is when the entire bar is watching a show (Sunday football) the delay really messes up the way it sounds. 1 large HD set w/stereo and 4 older sets, the play is over on the older sets but the play-by-play calling is still happening.

I think my best option is just to buy some more HD capable sets and eat the price increase. I'm due for some new tv's anyway, they dont last too long in the enviroment there (lots of smokers, not enough air management equipment).

Thanks for the reply!