Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to run checkdisk from recovery console - Windows xp

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). Courtesy dsenette
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Advertisements

Richierich07

Richierich07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If I do not have the Windows XP startup disk CD, can I download it, burn it to a cd from another computer then use that CD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Late I know but for others that may read this thread, there are no legitimate sources for end users to download XP from, as XP is no longer supported by Microsoft I suggest that you check to see if your computer can be upgraded to Windows 7 or 8.1, see here

fatimah imtiaz

fatimah imtiaz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I kept my pictures in window c i have updated new window my all pictures has been deleted now how can i get them back please help

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Fatimah, I suggest you to create your own thread in the right section for your issue :)

0x24000

0x24000

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

I kept my pictures in window c i have updated new window my all pictures has been deleted now how can i get them back please help

It certainly depends on what you mean by deleted.

If you reformatted your machine with a OS image (updating through replacing), then you're out of luck. 

However, if you simply cannot find your pictures and have decided that they have been deleted, there's a chance that your pictures are still recoverable on your machine. (Perhaps in the Recycle Bin - hasn't been emptied yet).