Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IT people “twice as likely” to wear heavy metal t-shirt as

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
According to new research, IT staff are twice as likely to wear a heavy metal t-shirt as their non-IT counterparts. The study of 1000 office workers also found IT types 34% more likely to sport a ponytail.

Other key findings:

Black jeans are 63% more popular among IT types than other workers

IT workers are 32% less likely to wear clean clothes every day of the week than business managers

Business and IT people are equally likely to wear a cellphone belt clip

The survey also found that despite unhelpful stereotyping such as Apple’s ‘Mac and PC’ commercials, IT and business people are equally likely – at 5% each – to wear dated 1990s spectacles.

Confirming one stereotype, however, was the finding that IT workers were almost twice as likely to carry a Maglite and a Leatherman. Both businesspeople and IT people prefer a Leatherman over a MagLite, and are 20% more likely to carry one.

IT people are twice as likely to wear Megadeth and similar t-shirts, and black jeans and ponytails are still hot items. However, they were distraught to find that the cellphone belt clip has gone ‘mainstream’ and lost its identification with the IT subculture.”

One interesting finding from the study was that IT staff are more likely to wear an expensive suit than a cheap one. While business staff are still far more likely to wear any suit at all, IT people shun cheap suits, with 33% more of them choosing a pricey suit over a bargain one. Fake expensive watches are currently not popular among techies, with only 2% of IT people admitting to wearing one.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, I know the IT field tends to be predominately male, and this survey seems to show that. I just don't picture women, even geeky women, dressed like that. I do wear a ponytail, but since I'm female, I don't think that counts. :whistling: I do own one concert t-shirt, but I don't like heavy metal (sorry, Metallica!). I do have to admit though, when I do dress up, my clothes tend to be expensive (I'm good at finding sales though!).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i concur with this studies findings whole heartedly
*dsenette pushes his out of date 1990's glasses up on his nose and lets out a snorting chuckle

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

34% more likely to sport a ponytail

@ Sari :blink:

*admin takes inventory...

heavy metal t-shirt - own a couple from concerts, but never wear them. :help:
sport a ponytail - not enough hair
Black jeans - don't own any
less likely to wear clean clothes every day of the week - check. I'll often change into the same clothes in the evening, or on weekends.
wear a cellphone belt clip - check (or pants/shorts with cargo pockets)
wear dated 1990s spectacles - no glasses
carry a Maglite and a Leatherman - do own them, don't carry them
wear an expensive suit than a cheap one - I'll wear any suit
Fake expensive watch - cheap genuine Columbia digital watch

However, except for here, I don't work in IT. :whistling: