Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

working with computers

• Please log in to reply

tudds

tudds

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi guys and girls lol.
try not to make this a long post.
i am a completely self taught pc user ,
id like to know what you would advise pertaining to a possible career in computers, ie nothing that involves heavy maths/programming/ i mean simple stuff that i could earn a small wage from, what courses would you recomend, also i am completely useless at numbers, yours interestidly tudds.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are so many options available that it's really hard to say "this is what you should do"...

if you're a hardware junkie you could get some certifications and maybe work at a pc repair shop or something of that nature

if you're a software junkie you can do the same

if you like the concepts of networking you can go to school and learn alot more about networking and maybe be a network tech or system administrator etc... (i went to ITT for 2 years and now i'm a network admin of my very own network...)

it's really a matter of where your interests lie

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to Tech Discussion since this doesnt appear to be random.

Student433

Student433

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Perhaps you could set up basic systems for small companies?

tudds

tudds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks, i like the idea of working in a small shop,
the other work sounds cool though as a job title, I.T/NETWORKING,
a friend of mine is an engineer for supermarkets, its a lot of travelling but the actual jobs are tiny easy peasy, he asks me stuff and has offered to get me a job there,but its one of those jobs where driving is essential,thx i will read up on those options you sent ie, it/networking/shop thx a lot.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
working as a engineer for supermarkets hgas many small broblems.
The thing is not to solve the problem but 2 discover what it is.
Many times its the between the chair and the keyboard.
U need 2 learn the basics and get experiance it is what counts

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Class would be highly recomended. If you want to get into networking chances are they might need you to have linux experiance since alot of servers use linux.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I think the best thing to do would be to find your local community college, and pick up some basic hardware and networking classes. I started there, and then moved on to work in the field, picking up a lot of on the job training and knowledge. I couldn't have gotten anywhere, however, without the basics.