Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Solaris 10

• Please log in to reply

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes is Solaris 10 a complete operating system, and will it run on window computers, like a gateway, or hp, or other. thanks

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Yea, Solaris is a "real and complete" OS. It is a version of Unix and uses a desktop system based on Gnome, so it's going to be similar in many ways to Linux. Personally, however, I don't recommend using it. It's years behind Linux in terms of driver availability and ease of installation.

If you're looking for an alternative operating systems to Windows, I recommend looking at some of the more popular Linux distros. Ubuntu and SuSe are both very user friendly and will be fully compatible on pretty much any computer (unlike Solaris).

- Matt

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes its a real OS but you can only really use it on a sun workstation it has its advantages over other OSs but it has its faults if you dont have a PC that comes with solaris then i wouldnt use solaris on it, if you are using a standard x86 system then linux is probably better for you.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Yes its a real OS but you can only really use it on a sun workstation it has its advantages over other OSs but it has its faults if you dont have a PC that comes with solaris then i wouldnt use solaris on it, if you are using a standard x86 system then linux is probably better for you.

You can use it on any x86 system just as easily as Linux, it does NOT have to be a Sun system (there is an x86 version of Solaris as well as the SPARC version for Sun systems).

Solaris is NOT your best choice for a desktop system, but if you are running a server it is a very stable product.
It does have quite a learning curve, but the setup is quite easy to follow.

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks guy's I'll do some more research, I'm not trying to replace my os, just wanting to try, on another computer.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts

You can use it on any x86 system just as easily as Linux

Yes, you can use it on any x86 system, but I disagree with your assessment that you can do so just as easily as Linux. Hardware support is miles ahead on Linux than Solaris, good luck finding drivers for Solaris.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

You can use it on any x86 system just as easily as Linux

Yes, you can use it on any x86 system, but I disagree with your assessment that you can do so just as easily as Linux. Hardware support is miles ahead on Linux than Solaris, good luck finding drivers for Solaris.

I agree with that. My point was basically that installing Solaris is not as big of a chore as people make it out to be.