Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error playing avi/divx files

• Please log in to reply

rhodes58

rhodes58

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ive recently bought a laptop which when i download certain avi or divx video files and try to play then it crashes out. if i try to open it with media player through windows explorer, i get an error message where i get the option to report the fault to microsoft, aswell as this, media player and explorer is closed down and im taken to the desktop where everything goes blank for a second then refreshes and any windows applications i had open are closed down but anything else returns ok. if i try to open the file from within my dvd player it closes the player but has no effect on any window applications. even when i simply just click on it once within windows explorer and highlight the file, it shuts all windows applications down as it does when i try to play it. i have downloaded a codec programme which apparently tells me the files have supported codecs on the computer, so dont think its a codec. i have also burned the files to disc and tried them on my old desktop where they play fine without any problems at all. i found out yesterday a work collegue has the exact same problem and has no idea what the fault is either.
can anyone help, im getting desperate now

thanks

Advertisements

tullyvision

tullyvision

• Pip
  • 1 posts
try uninstalling and re installing the divx codec

or download videolans vlc player

it plays pretty much anything and has loads of codecs built in

good luck

officialblueboys