Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Is this a good laptop for £400, brand new?

Windows Media Centre Edition
1024mb RAM
1.6Ghz Processor
128mb Video Card (Onboard =S)
15.4" Widescreen with CrystalBrite Technology (What is that anyway?)
DVD drive

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks great where are you getting it.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
http://www.comet.co.uk

kyms

kyms

• Pip
  • 9 posts
You might find that this runs xp 32 bit so not using its full capability,
but is vista ready.

I just bought one in Portugal built in cam and with a faster chip, 699 euros, I got a refund cos it was slow and they would not install a 64 bit ops.
It was not a bad l/top though good spec for the money.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually most laptops will come with 32bit because its better supported has less bugs and more drivers its quite common not to be able to find drivers for 64bit, also unless you have enough memory you dont notice much performance improvement and the fact is that there are so few 64bit apps 64bit XP is pointless.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
The only problem with Media Centre though, I'll have to get a TV tuner and everything to get the most out of it. To be honest, I'd be happy with XP Home on it. Also, I looked at the MCE specs and it said a 1.6Ghz processor. Does this mean that just running it would use all my processing power? And would I be able to play good games on it? I've heard the onboard graphics cards are not as good as normal ones.

Edit: The graphics card bit

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 26 November 2006 - 04:25 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
MCE is XP it just comes with media center which is just a souped up version of media player.

1.6 is relative to the processor, it'll run on a 1.6 P4 from 5 years ago it'll run on a spanking new dual core cpu.

Integrated sucks but you ain't gonna get much better in a lapper of that price and you wont get anything other than slightly better integrated until you triple the price.

Edited by warriorscot, 26 November 2006 - 05:13 PM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
haha yeah, the other day I customized a Dell laptop to £3,700 =D

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are going over maybe £900 youre actually better with alienware, Dell overcharge on the high end systems to subsidise the lower end, alienware are a little fairer on the pricing, plus they look better and have better quality.

trid2bnrml

trid2bnrml

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an Acer Aspire 3000 similar to supercalifragilistic's. I paid less than 500 bucks (US) for it, complete with recovery disks, owner's manual and valid XP Pro. Now that I'm used to the wide screen look, it was definitely worth my money. With my 200 gig external hdd, 1.80 ghz processor and 1024 mb ram, it does everything I need it to do. I took a chance on a brand name I had never heard of, and I'm happy that I did.

Sometimes change is good----

Edited by trid2bnrml, 20 December 2006 - 06:27 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Acer make some of the best laptops around they arent always the best lookers but they are quality and cheap cant go much wrong with an Acer.