Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for some expert advice

• Please log in to reply

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hey Guys,

After a few days of spyware and maleware training on the site I have decided to start seeking certifications in both general and specific computer knowledge. BUT I need help. I have no idea where to start, what the difference between A+ and A++ is...here is what I am trying to achieve if you will.

I've been using computers for a good 10+ years. In that time I have received a degree in graphic design and I've learned to pretty much as much as I can about computers from building them to how they work to web design (css - tables are on the way out).

I would one day love to start my own computer business. I love dealing with computers, it does not feel like a chore to me when I am helping someone. I truly do love computers.

I'd like to know what certifications you guys would recommend. I have no networking knowledge but I would like to get some. I'd rather get certification for PC repair, building, etc before networking.

But where should I start? Which types am I looking for? Are the books that Books-a-million or Barnes and Noble sell decent for studying?

Thank you. :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i've done things the hard way. My problem is i do not want a BOSS telling me what to do. So i have tried learning anything i could about computers so when i opened up a shop i would be prepared. After a six month stint of trying to live off $0, i closed my first shop and went back to work. I have tried many things, discarding many ideas along the way when they proved unprofitable, and now have another shop open simply because i no longer had enough room at home to continue running shop there.

I could not see where getting a MCSE degree would help me get to where i wanted to be but for many people this is where you start. I subcontract to a MCSE on hardware repairs on contracts he has with local companys( ironic isn't it).

http://www.mcsedirectory.com/

http://www.novell.co...g/certinfo/cle/

http://www.hp.com/ce...tru64_unix.html

As you can see there are many different directions you can go into. Personally i like what i am doing as it is more cutting edge than doing the drudge work for large corporations running thier servers. What i have to be capable of is fixing every kind of problem that home computer users can think of. If that is not the toughest job of all then i really don't know what is. I do have to shortcut a lot of work i do simply because i need to make a living. So many of the fixes i do are nothing more than trying to save some data so i can wipe and reload the computer quickly.

I have had someone walk in my shop with a computer tower they took apart and wanted to know if i could fix it by the time they were done with a shopping mall spree in a few hours. I guess they thought i was not doing anything at all there except waiting for them to walk in. Lots more storys i could tell, but i think you get my drift.

My point here is you need to look into what you really want to do and what is feasible for you to do. No one can decide what you want except for you. Its good to ask questions so you can find the direction you need to go. I am hoping the links and my answer will help.

SRX660