Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thank you for your help in advance. I have created a real mess because I am a complete idiot!! I have a laptop with XP Home. Since SP2 upgrade last year I have had continual problems with IE and other applications not working correctly.

I finally decided to try uninstalling SP2, with the hope of reinstalling it. As a result when Windows loads now nothing but the picture comes up. No start menu, icons, etc. I get a message that says Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will be shut down. Then just the picture. I have tried to access System Restore from task manager but just a blank box comes up. I tried opening in SafeMode and going to last configuration that worked and it just took me to a blank screen.

Any suggestions?? I am desparate to get my computer back!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Manners...

Do you have an XP installation cd for your machine?

wannabe1

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yes I do.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
When I try to boot from the Win XP CD, it just comes back up to the lovely XP Picture. I get the System SubSpooler error and the Windows Exp error. The only thing I have the use of is the taskmgr usingCtl-Alt-Del. How do I get to the repair part on the CD?? It just brings up the new installation window.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the screen you see like the first one in the guide I linked you to?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
OK. I changed the Bios and think I am getting it to boot.. I'll report what happens. It is loading files! My fingers, toes, arms,etc are crossed!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool!

If you run into problems or have any questions, let me know.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The Product Key is pasted on the bottom of my laptop, which I bought new. When I enter it, it says that it is an invalid code. What do I do now??

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Tried code from other computer bought at same time and worked! Oops! Sorry about that. Now to see if it all works!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try it again...double check that you are not making a typo...that's the most common cause of this error.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thanks so much for being there!! I just hate doing this stuff because I am not good at it.

The repair worked somewhat. I now have a start button and icons. When I was doing the repair, there were a few graphic drivers, not digitally signed, where I could not find the paths so I just clicked ignore. In addition, realtek ethernet card was among those. I have disks with drivers listed but realtek is not one of them. Now I can't get online. I sure wish I could have just done a system repair.

So, although the computer is conected, I have no use of the internet. Any more suggestions??

Also, I am still getting the error for the sub spooler.

The name of the driver is: RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. It must have been preloaded or they never gave me the disk. I went to the website but am not sure what to download,and how to get it onto the laptop I am having the problem with.

So, as per your wise advice, I am not doing anythingmore until I know what to do!

Thanks again for getting me this far!

Edited by Manners, 19 January 2007 - 12:00 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...didn't get my email notification of your reply until this morning.

Download the network adapter drivers Here. (top of the list) Burn the file to a cd and install it on the machine you're working on.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
No need to apologize. I am just happy you're there! Poor laptop is not in good condition today. I downloaded and burned CDof driver. It is compressed and when I opened it, there are lots of files including 2 other compressed, which will not open. Everything I tried clicking pretty much says it is not recognized by Microsoft because something is missing or will not open.

In addition, those graphic drivers which (Intel) keep telling me they are not installed even though I found the disks and did so lastnight. WhenI try to install, it keeps telling me I need files from the XP CD, but XP tells me I need the Intel Disk.

Programs like Word, etc are not working correctly. Somesay they aren't supported by Microsoft, some say they need installation disk. Some work just fine! Stillcan't get online. It is sending but not receiving.

The system sub spooler is still a repeat problem. Here is the error report and subsequent details:

szAppName: szAppVer:0.0.0.0
szModName: unknown
szModVer:0.0.0.0
offset: 00000000

C:\DOCUME~\JAY\LOCALS\Temp\WER5.tmp.dirol\spoolsv.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\JAY\LOCALS~1Temp\WER5.tmp.dir01\appcompat.txt

I really created a mess and could shoot myself for doing so, although my teenagers may do it for me!!
I will be gone for a while this afternoon, but will be back early this evening. Doesn't the world recognize the mess my laptop is in??

Thanks again.
Gratefully,
Manners

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd sure like to take a look at what's going on in there. Please download, install, and run WinAudit on the machine. Save an audit report in either PDF (Adobe) format or as a Web Page (html). Attach it to an email to me (I'll PM you with the address). If you save the report as a Web Page, it will show up as three files...I need only the file named rightframe.htm.