Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD when upgrading audio driver

• Please log in to reply

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have an Intell 945GNT motherboard with integrated audio. The audio card is the Sigmatel 92XX. Originally, when I updated to Vista Home Premium, the audio was distorted. Then, I downloaded the audio driver from Intel. It was an EXE file. I double clicked on it and it gave me the lovely BSOD. It was too fast to write down the other information from the screen. Any ideas? My sound card works perfectly on XP Home (I have a dual boot).

The BIOS has been updated to the latest version from Intel.

On a side note, though I do not know if you would rather I start a new thread about this. But just in case these two situations are related, I shall combine them. Anyway, the network card, also integrated, worked originally, then stopped. I have updated the drivers but Vista simply does not recognize a connection. I have tried resetting the cable modem. I go through Comcast.

If there is any more information you need, let me know. I shall upload an Everest report when I get home.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok. I do not know what I did, but I got the audio working. Any ideas on the LAN? I'm going to try uninstalling the port and then reinstalling the port.

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Do you see green/orange lights on the back of the computer when you plug in an ethernet cable? While doing this, check to see if your LAN is Enabled in the BIOS.

As for recognizing a connection, check what I wrote above. Also, I want to see if you're getting any type of IP Address or nothing at all.

Go to Start ->Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center

Once there, tell me if you see anything that says 'Connection, Local Area Connection'

If you do, to the right of that, click on 'View Status'. Click on the 'Details' button. Read me the Address under 'IPv4 IP Address'.

If you don't see any type of Connection, get back to me with what I said in the beginning of the post.

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I fixed it. I uninstalled anything network related, then restarted the computer. Then I went to Device manager and installed the default driver.

As for the other questions in the previous post, the lights were working on the card itself. LAN was enabled in BIOS. There was no IP address in ipconifg. As far as the IPv4 settings, they were set to autodetect.

Long story short, one of the updated drivers, though which one, I do not know, was not working correctly.

As of now, the computer is running very well and I am quite pleased. Thank you all. I love this site.