Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Printing in Vista

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi, I'm back again with another problem. :blink:. In our house we have a wireless network going on, to which two laptops and an XBOX 360 are connected wirelessly, and a desktop PC that is connected by an ethernet cable to the router.

The desktop PC is running Windows XP SP2 and has a printer attatched to it which is shared. The one laptop (XP SP2) connected to the printer no problem and can print documents fine. But, my laptop running Windows Vista can't print at all.

I've tried three things...

Using the Add a Printer Wizard and selecting Add a wireless or network printer, then selecting the printer. A box comes up that says "Connecting to Printer on Kitchen" and then another box appears saying that a driver needs to be installed. An error message then comes up saying it couldn't connect to the printer and driver installation failed.

Then I tried downloading the Lexmark installation thing for the printer and running it on my laptop. During the setup process it asks where the printer is and gave me an option for finding a printer on the network. It finds it, and installs all the software and drivers for it... and an icon appears in Printers for it. But when I try to print anything to it, it says "Problem communicating with the printer". I've tried disabling the firewalls on both the laptop and the desktop too.

Last thing I did was do a bit of Googling, which got me nowhere. So that's why I'm posting here.

I'm really stuck. Really really stuck. It worked just fine on the other laptop, and on previous laptops I've had. But Vista just won't work. :whistling:

(I tried to provide a detailed description, but if I've left anything out please just say.)

Any help'd be greatly appreciated, as always :help:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you set the port as a tcpip printing port

Edited by peterm, 16 March 2007 - 09:15 PM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
It didn't ask me to do that. :S

In Printer Properties it says it's set to Port: \\Kitchen\Printer | Description: Local Port | Printer: Lexmark X1100 Series.

When I click on Add Port it brings up a wizard with a weird picture of a printer that looks more like a box of tissues. Then it doesn't find any printers.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
go to the propertities of the printer on the xp laptop that works.
Right click on the printer then click on propertities then click on the port tab what port is it printing to.
my guess is we will have to set it up via tcpip

Edited by peterm, 18 March 2007 - 03:30 PM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
On the XP Laptop it's printing to Port: \\Kitchen\Lexmark | Description: Local Port | Printer: Lexmark X1100 Series on Kitchen.

I checked the properties panel on the Vista laptop and the settings are identical. Every box checked on one is check on the other.

Now I'm confused. :S

[Sorry it took me a while to reply, getting hold of that XP laptop is difficult...]

Edited by o2mcgovem, 23 March 2007 - 10:52 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://downloads.lex...s=229:1:0:4:0:0 looking at the lexmark webpage...it doesn't look like the printer has vista drivers...which you would need to print from vista (no matter what system the printer is installed on and shared from). when sharing a printer with Operating systems that require different drivers..you have to load said drivers with the printer on the "server" computer (on the sharing tab there's an "add aditional drivers" button)...but if the printer doesn't have drivers compatible with the client system...it's not gonna print

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Oh no, that's not my printer.

My Printer's the X1150 All-In-One, it always shows up as the X1100 Series though.

Here's the page: http://support.lexma...d=Lexmark X1150

I didn't see those support options before, might've been because I was on the UK site.

I'm in the "Customer Support Chat" thing now. Although, from previous experience, customer support people don't always know best.

Someone will be with you shortly...
[Michael] How do I print to a printer connected to another computer from a wireless network?
[Sam] Welcome to Lexmark Chat Support.
[Michael] Hi
[Michael] Hi
[Sam] Hello Michael.

I'll post back with any information.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://downloads.lex...s=229:1:0:0:0:0 now there...that's got vista drivers...but it looks like a full install EXE...not really what you need...you need a driver package that just has the INF files etc...

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
They're trying to get me to buy a Wireless Print Server. Do I actually need one of those? I've never had one before. :S

[Sam] Please give me 2 minutes while I check my resources. Thank you.
[Michael] Okay :whistling:
[Sam] In order to set up the the printer over a wireless network you need to buy a wireless print server.
[Michael] I don't think I have one of those, but I've managed to get half way there. On the computer the printer's connected to I just clicked sharing on. One of the laptops we have can print stuff to it, but the other one doesn't.
[Sam] But do you have Wireless print server?
[Michael] No. I have a Wireless Router though.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 23 March 2007 - 12:21 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
tell sam that is incorrect if your printer is connected to another computer then it will show as a network printer
I assume you can file share!!!

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Well, Sam's gone. Since then Joe's replaced him and then he told me to uninstall the driver on my laptop which required a restart, and now I'm speaking to Stephen.

Oh, he's just told me that... Well, read...

[Michael] I have restarted my computer now. I'm back...
[Stephen] Welcome to Lexmark Chat Support. This is Stephen.
[Michael] Hi
[Stephen] I shall help you to resolve the issue.
[Stephen] Please give me 2 minutes while I pull up your previous records. Thank you.
[Michael] Ok
[Stephen] Thanks for waiting.
[Stephen] Are you trying to print over network?
[Michael] Yes. I'm having trouble printing from a Windows Vista laptop. Joe asked me to uninstall the drivers and restart, and to get back to the chat service before doing anything else
[Stephen] Please un plug the USB cable from the back of the printer and connect it back when asked while re installing the printer software.
[Michael] It's not physically connected to my laptop.
[Stephen] Please click HERE to download latest driver from web site.
[Michael] Are you sure? That's not my model. I have the X1150 (http://support.lexma...d=Lexmark X1150)
[Stephen] Please let me know the printer model number you are using. Your initial question says that you are using X1150 printer.
[Stephen] Sorry.
[Michael] What for? Don't worry. :whistling:
[Michael] It's X1150.
[Stephen] Yes, you can use the same driver as both X1150 and X1185 fall under same series X1100 series.
[Michael] so download from the link you sent?
[Stephen] Yes, you are correct.
[Michael] Ok. 2 mins remaining
[Stephen] Please connect the printer to host computer and try to print.
[Michael] Should I install the downloaded file on my laptop or on the host computer?
[Stephen] Please download and install the printer software on your host computer.
[Stephen] To get help to use the printer on network you may have to call our toll free number 1-800-332-4120 as I am not trained in network and wireless issue.
[Stephen] I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
[Stephen] Is there anything else I could assist you with?
[Michael] Is there a toll-free number for people in the UK?
[Stephen]

Please call our UK technical support center. A technician can then work with you to try and resolve the problem. If it is determined that the printer or cartridge is malfunctioning or defective and if it is still under warranty, arrangements will be made to repair or replace your printer and/or cartridge at no cost to you.

You can call the technical support center at 020 7365 2496 anytime between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday - Friday.

[Stephen] Thanks for contacting us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance. It's a pleasure helping you. Thanks for choosing Lexmark Chat Support. Have a Good Day.
[Stephen] Bye.
[Michael] bye

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Okay, I don't know what to do now. I feel like I've digressed, since I'm without drivers.

Can we start again. I want to install a printer on my laptop that's connected to another machine. How do I go about it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....tech support...gotta love em...peter do you agree with my driver assessment?

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I'm sorry guys, I'll be back in 10 mins. Emergency at Computer 2... Again. :whistling:

Edit: Someone tried to download iMesh or iWire or something onto the other laptop. I've told them countlesss times, and after what happened last time (Windows needed to be reinstalled). I don't see a point anymore. Oh well.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 23 March 2007 - 01:46 PM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Sorry, am back. :whistling: