Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dark Messiah Might and Magic PC Game

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Everyone
I have just bought the New Might and Magic PC Game Dark Messiah after i Installed it i started to play it and about 10 To 15 Minutes into the Game it Crashes back to the Desktop and has the Following two Errors i would Appreciate some Advice on how to get these Errors Fixed Thank You.

I have to 2 Errors in my new M+M Dark Messiah Game
1. Engine Error internal driver Error in iDirect 3D Device ::Present

Application Error
2. The Instruction at "0x408b219" referenced Memory at "0X2041FD50" The Memory could not be "Read", Click on Terminate the Program

Svstem Spec's

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8300
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Computer Corp.
Serial Number: ..
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 04/28/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
370.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
315.40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

HDT722525DLAT80 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1
ST3120026AS [Hard drive] (120.00 GB) -- drive 0 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 0' has 256 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 0' has 256 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 1' has 512 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 1' is Empty

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 21 March 2007 - 12:45 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What kind of graphics card do you have? Dark Missiah of Might and Magic is one of toughest to run.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Titan8990
Thanks for your quick reply my Graphics Card is Nvidia Geforce Tm 6 Series 256 DDR let me know if this helps i have no other problems with other Games at the moment. Thanks again

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Which model in the 6 series (eg-6700)? According to the game requirments all the 6 series cards should be able to run it though. How is your FPS for the time that you do get to play. Have you tried turning the graphics down to the lowest settings? Are other games you test your graphics card on as stressful as DMMM? How old is your card?

Your specs are close to the same as mine except I have a 7800 GT and I do have to turn the graphics down quite a bit. Multiplayer is almost unplayable.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Titan8990
Thanks for replying Sorry about not putting the model number ie 6200 my Graphics Card is Nvidia Geforce 6200 Tm 6 Series 256 MB - 3D and it's about 8 or 9 months old i don't play multi player mode could you explain what FPS is if you need any more information let me know i haven't really changed the Graphics card settings as i don't really know whats good or bad in the settings so if you could offer any Advice in that area i would Appreciate it Thanks Again

Edited by cheyenne 09, 22 March 2007 - 03:06 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
FPS stands for Frames Per Second. It is more or less how well your system runs a game. Low FPS can be visually seen by the game lagging or pausing for a second.

Before you start the game click Options and then the Video tab. Select the lowest resolution possible for your aspect ratio (widescreen or normal). Click the advanced button. Turn everything there to the lowest setting possible. If the game runs properly after this then you can slowly turn up the graphics to see how much you can handle. When I do this my priorities are increased resolution, Antisotropic texture filtering, and high dynamic range. After that you can attempt to increase your detail settings. Also water reflexections and anti-aliasing (which can't be used with high dynamic range anyways) seem to be the most stressful.

Let me know if it works.

Edited by Titan8990, 22 March 2007 - 05:18 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Might and Magic Dark Messiah was released by Ubisoft with many bugs, so you can pay to play a beta-testing-stage game! Yay! Go to Ubisoft's website, and see if they decided to patch the game yet. If not, tough luck. Trust me, its not anything with your computer, tons of other people have problems with bugs, including ones that crash the game. A good solution is to email Ubisoft and ask them to, in the future, only release finished games. Recently two of their highly anticipated PC releases (this game and Splinter Cell Double Agent) have tons of bugs which take away from what would be otherwise fantastic games. Sorry if I ranted too much.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Titan8990
Ok i have done as you suggested and Selected the lowest resolution possible for your aspect ratio (widescreen or normal) the normal option was already selected all other settings were on High so i put them on the lowest setting and then loaded the Game and started to play it within five minutes it crashed again and then retried it and same thing happened again but after this i retried and loaded the Game it played a bit longer but the sound was also distorted just before it crashed again so if i was to buy a New Graphics Card again what would be the best option would be series 7 or series 8800 Nvidia Geforce 320 MB what would be the best here or is the one that i have and just keep adjusting it i did get to see a bit more of the Game which looks Great Thank You Again

oh i also went to look for updates or a patch and there were two but didn't know which one to pick

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :help:

Hi stettybet0
Thank you your information was most helpful and there is updates went to the Ubisoft website and the Might and Magic one Thank You

:blink: Cheyenne 09 :help:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The 8800 would be the better choice but everyone has been suggesting a wait on buying one. People have been saying that the price of the 8800s will drop once the new ATIs come out. If you do go with the 7 series the versions go like this: 1-5 entry level (eg-7300), 6-7 mid range or "mainstream" (eg-7600), 8-9 high end or gaming range (eg-7950). But again your system meets the minium requirements.

Have you cleaned the dust from you graphics card recently? Also if you buy the game via download like direct2drive it will cause the sound to distort without steam running.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
why would steam need to be running for this game? steam is only used on some valve games. and dust isn't the problem, its just that, like i said, ubisoft doesn't feel like paying beta testers anymore.

Cheyenne, unless you were planning on getting a video card anyways, you shouldn't buy one in hopes of making this game run. Sure, a new card might give you better frame rates, but it won't stop the game from crashing.

Edited by stettybet0, 23 March 2007 - 11:40 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I bought the game through direct2drive and without steam running I couldn't hear any of the narration. When you buy the downloadable version of the game it attaches itself to steam.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Titan8990
I have just upgraded my Memory to 2.59GHz, 2.00GB if i wait to buy another Graphics Card should it be above 256 MB in the memory as in 320 MB or above. I was out out last night getting the New Memory for the Computer and was looking at the price of the Graphics Cards and the 7 series versions start from £80.00 pounds up to 8800s £230.00 pounds so now that i have Upgraded the Memory and my system has changed does that have any effect on the Graphics Card that i have. When is the New ATIs coming out I Bought the Collecter's Edition of the Might and Magic Dark Messiah Game I cleaned the dust out last night while doing the memory. The the narration worked ok in mine it was not until it Crashed that the Sound had Problems. I have just completed the first section of the Game and am on the First Quest and by the my protecter is useless and have you Completed the Game yet and any way what is the steam running? and what does it do. I Appreciate your Help Thank You

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi stettybet0
Thank you for replying What do you mean by Valve is it the Software Company and do you know if getting the Patch makes any difference to the Game Thank You

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you purchased the retail version of the game (in the box) then you won't need to worry about steam. Steam is just a program that attaches to a game a sucks more RAM while you are playing. Atleast thats how I look at it. I wouldn't suggest buying a video card from a local store becuase they tend to be much more expensive than online stores such as newegg. As far as the memory of the GPU it all depends on what games you want to play on which quality. I will tell you that after I bought my geforce 7800 GT 256mb I was seriously regretting not going with the 512mb version. A 512mb card will be usefull a lot further into the future than a 256mb card. Also the difference between the two are usually highest graphics settings vs moderate settings. I have not tried a 320mb so I am not sure as to how much different an additional 74mb of RAM will make the experience.

EDIT: The additional RAM will help in gameplay but I don't think it actually "effects" the graphics card.

Edited by Titan8990, 24 March 2007 - 10:43 AM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Titan8990
I did buy the Brand New Collector Edition of the Game Plus a DVD that came with it Exclusive to the Game Shop here so if i wait a bit and buy a New Graphics Card with 512 MB should i stay with Nvidia or Go with ATI what would you suggest i enjoy Playing Adventure type Games Ie Might and Magic, Spellforce, Etc I also don't have any Computer Shops that are Local to me so i would buy online or drive down to a town that has got a Computer Shop i Appreciate all your Help and Advice Thank You Again

Edited by cheyenne 09, 24 March 2007 - 11:01 AM.