Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with Vista removal

• Please log in to reply

Amigatu

Amigatu

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I had Windows XP Home Edition and just recieved my upgrade of Vista. I installed it into my Dell 1505. Before I installed Vista my 1505 came with a wireless network card. On my screen was a wireless network icon that would show me what networks were available, now it is gone. I think Vista wiped out my wireless network card. I am not sure because I don't know hw to check it. Can I uninstall Windows Vista and bring my lap top back to factory settings? I wish I never installed this upgrade. I am a newbie and would appreciate any help. Thank you so much! :whistling:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Amigatu,

I think Vista wiped out my wireless network card.

This IS probably the case, when upgrading to Vista removes ALOT of old settings that you may have had. The first thing that you should do is find the latest drivers for your wireless network card that is Vista compatible. Once you have the latest card drivers for Vista everything may be fine, or you may have to create a new connection. But let me know...

Can I uninstall Windows Vista and bring my lap top back to factory settings?

There is no need to uninstall Vista yet, I have posted a fix for your problem above.

I wish I never installed this upgrade.

Like everything in life, there is good and bad aspects to everything. From my personal opinion of Vista, I think its GREAT!!! I also had a few issues with it, all because of compatibility. Many of my drivers wouldn't work because they where all old and suited for XP, but now that I have got that soughted out Vista is running perfect.

Let me know if my fix worked, cool. :whistling:

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you Spike. I will try to find the driver. I am sure it will take me a few days with Dell :whistling: I was on chat with them for hours last night and he never did what I wanted. lol. I will get back to you as soon as I have done this. Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help. :blink:

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
:help: After hours chatting with Dell nothing is resolved . I have same problem with no wireless network card and now I can't get on Internet Explorer. I can get on AOL, but no Internet Explorer. Why did I upgrade to Vista!! :blink: I never learn, I am always in trouble. I went to Dell web site to search for driver downloads but can't connect. Can you help me before I throw lap top out window? :whistling: Thanks, Marie

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey Amigatu, sorry for the long wait. This is what I found:

Dell Wireless 1450 WLAN miniPCI Card:

Systems:
Inspiron 1100
Inspiron 500m
Inspiron 300m
Inspiron 5100
Inspiron 5150
Inspiron 8500
Inspiron 9100
Inspiron 8600
Inspiron 510m
Inspiron 600m
Latitude D500
Latitude X300
Latitude D400
Latitude D505
Latitude D600
Latitude D800
Dell Precision WorkStation M60

Operating systems:
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP

It seems that all drivers for anything to do with network are only compatible for Windows XP/2000, nothing seems to be out for Vista at the moment. I went through most of them because I wasn't sure which driver you needed, here is a direct link to your model:

Inspiron 5150 Drivers & Downloads

After hours chatting with Dell nothing is resolved . I have same problem with no wireless network card and now I can't get on Internet Explorer. I can get on AOL, but no Internet Explorer.

Can you tell me exactly what they told you to do? So that we can fix your Internet Explorer problem, as for the other problem with your wireless network card you will just have to hang back for awhile until drivers have been made compatible for Vista. I will keep you updated on the new driver release and will try and gather more information from Dell to resolve your problem.

Shweet :whistling:

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Spike, well, :whistling: I really wish the Dell Tech would of told me that there is no WLAN card compatable with Vista yet. They certainly had no idea I guess. I reinstalled Windows XP. :blink:
I will install Vista again. I seem to have lost everything I had before. I am trying to get it back to factory but I am having a problem getting the Symantec Recovery to come up. They say push ctrl and F11 but it is not working. There is a folder Windows.OLD. Do you know how to bring that back? I double click on it but how to I download it in computer? I am in a real mess over it. lol. My lap top is all messed up. Thank you for finding out that information for me. I think I am going to have to bring this lap top in to a shop or something. I have no idea really what I am doing and I am just making a mess of everything. :help: I am just so thankful for people like you who are so willing to help newbies like me. Thank you so much.

Edited by Amigatu, 23 March 2007 - 04:06 AM.