Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

oleaut32.dll error

• Please log in to reply

x-princess-x

x-princess-x

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i downloaded something and since then ive been getting oleaut32.dll error messages and nothing will open i cant get on the internet or anything to download something to remove it as it wont work and my virus scanners wont open either is there something i cud download to a disk from a different computer and then try fixing it that way

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would like to help you but more information is needed. Do you have the installation disk that came with the machine, or do you know if the installation files are on your hard drive? Do you have a floppy drive that works? Is it 98 or 98SE?

One problem is that the file in question is too large to fit on a boot floppy so the best way to handle the problem is to extract it from the installation .cab file to the C:\windows\system folder with the help of a boot disk.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Boot the computer into Safe Mode.

How To:1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer restarts, begin tapping the F8 key until the Windows XP startup menu appears.
3. Choose Safe mode from the startup menu, and then press Enter. Windows starts in Safe mode.
Open the C:\Windows\System folder.

Rename the file oleaut32.dll to .old (oleaut32.old)

Boot back into Normal mode.

Download and install VBRun60.exe (VB6 runtime lib).

Reboot the computer.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 09 April 2007 - 06:16 PM.

hotgoalie11565

hotgoalie11565

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Boot the computer into Safe Mode.

How To:1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer restarts, begin tapping the F8 key until the Windows XP startup menu appears.
3. Choose Safe mode from the startup menu, and then press Enter. Windows starts in Safe mode.
Open the C:\Windows\System folder.

Rename the file oleaut32.dll to .old (oleaut32.old)

Boot back into Normal mode.

Download and install VBRun60.exe (VB6 runtime lib).

Reboot the computer.

Hi, I'm a newbie.

Is VBRun 60.exe small enough to fit on a floppy or do I need to burn this to a CD?

Arnoldo

Arnoldo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
Iam having a similar issue when starting up my computer (Windos XP SP 3). A window appears with the "oleaut32.dll error".
I have no problem accessing the internet, my Office suite or anything I normally use.
The following may or may not have a relation with the oleaut32.dll issue as reportes: the thing is that I can´´t use the accent mark in spanish (my native language)... when I type an accent over a letter say i, then he system reproduces ´´i.
I followed the instructions about restarting my computer in safe mode, renamed the oleaut32.old, downloaded the VBRun60.exe... but nothing!. Anyways, I REALIZED THAT IN MY COMPUTER THE oleaut32.dll RESIDES IN THE FOLDER SYSTEM32 not SYSTEM.
I´ve tried all the options with the regional settings with no results.
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A HAND WITH THIS PLEASE?
Cheers,
Arnoldo.