Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with SATA

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
First of all, i wanted to appologize for the little misunderstanding with the windows... I relized that i was wrong, and you guys have really proved your point...

So anyways, my dad got Windows XP Home from work today, (and it's a fine registered version), and my problems still did not go away... The Windows only sees 127GB out of my 320GB (Seagate Baracuda, 16mb)... and gives me really low marks on some benchmarks... therefore, i do not know what to do. I am extremely lost, and i'm really asking for help... As you said, "Your problem is an easy fix", but i'm not able to figure it out. I have a licensed version of Windows XP Home, and the problems did not go away, still.

If you could please tell me if i should download any drivers or something, (a link for the download is as well apreciated), or if i need to switch some system settings... I'm really lost, and you guys are the only true help i have... I've learned from my mistakes, please forgive me, and assist me with some advice on my difficulties.

Sincerely,

Pers

Advertisements

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
hello? anybody? PLEASE?

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm having the same type of problem with my new 500GB harddrive. I was told a program called PartitionMagic can repartition your harddrive without needing to wipe out everything you have on it. I have yet to try but that should allow you to simply make another partition for the rest of the (roughly) 190 GBs.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
What file system are you both using using? NTFS or FAT32?

i have two 250gb HD's on SATA and they are both working 100%, and are yuo both using winxp Home?

glen

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Windows XP professional and file system is NTFS. When I partitioned my harddrive it only put 465GB so I need to partition the other piece seperetly and use it for storage or something.

Sucks pers only got 127GB out of his... lol

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
you also must remember (whilst i research this abit more) 500gb rating will not mean that yu'll have exaclty 500gb, it;ll be 500000mb/1024=488gb (i think i got the maths right, please correct me anyone if i am wrong) both my drive have identical values available of 244.14gb.

does that help alittle? the biggest thing i can think of is that pers formatted to FAT32 because windows xp can not exceed a 129gb in that format, so he needs to format to NFTS.

i hope that helps Pers, but can i ask you, what size drive can you see?

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
wow i didn't know that :whistling:

That could be his problem. Hope he replys sometime...

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
has that helped you at all? does it solve your problems?

i hope pers replies soon too!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

you also must remember (whilst i research this abit more) 500gb rating will not mean that yu'll have exaclty 500gb, it;ll be 500000mb/1024=488gb (i think i got the maths right, please correct me anyone if i am wrong) both my drive have identical values available of 244.14gb.

The raw unformatted size will be 500Gb.
The formatted value will be just over 488Gb, 488.28Gb to be exact.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Heey guys, sorry i was busy training these days

So, yes i did have some problems...

Now, i bought Windows Vista Ultimate lately, it all works fine, partioned my 320GB Sata in C: 127gb and E: 170gb, but i still think i get a little bit slow perfomance.. I mean, it's 7200rpm, 16mb buffer, and still, it gives me quite a low mark in Performance Test 6.1 (Great program, try it out). Otherwise, i'm not too worried, but if my SATA is a bit slow, please tell me if there is a possible problem :whistling:

So, what i've got so far out of my system:

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 o/c @ 3.4 GHz
OCZ PC6400 Ram @ 800MHz w/ heat spreaderse and 4-4-4-15 latency
Seagate Baracuda 320GB Hard Drive w/ 16mb buffer @ 7,200 RPMs
GeForce 7600 GT xXx Edition (Temperary video card, looking to upgrade: See topic "Upgrading Video card")

That's pretty much all, so please, tell me if i have some problems with my SATA, or is it fine?

Cheers, :blink:

Pers

btw. what do you think of my new system ? :help:

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Pers, if you are worried about slow SATA, could you post some benchmarks at which you are basing this information on? Although software benchmarks are nt 100% reliable, but they give a pretty good indication! Also are you running SATA1(150mb) or SATA2(300mb)?

Thanks neil for correcting me, :whistling:

your system looks good, but i seriuosly hope you have got some awesome cooling on that CPU, Do you know what temeratures you are running at idle and also on load?

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks, i got an amazing Zalman heatsink with a huuge fan, my mobo and cpu (even overlcocked to 3.4) never go above 31°C even at full load... :blink:

The benchmark i use is called Performance Test 6.1, you can get it at passmark.com, and there is a 30 day trial. My CPU mark is ~1850, memory mark is ~830, 3D mark ~1200, and Disk mark is only ~360... which worries me..

Will be waiting for your reply

Cheers :whistling:

Pers

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Pers,

can you either post some screenshots or a log which i can read through! or save it as a baseline for me and i will do some investigation work, my HD is coming out with scores about the 400 mark!

Are you using SATA1 or SATA2?

Edited by glen_m_32, 19 April 2007 - 10:21 AM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
i don't know, how can i find out?? :whistling:

pers

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Did you install the HD yourself? it should be on the spec of the HD itself, although i am not to sure my self, i would imagine it would say with all the info you got with it, on the box maybe, it mite also be noted as SATA150 or SATA300, i'm sure there is another way, but i have got a guitar lesson, and haven't got time to search now!

if u get a chance to post a baseline mark of yours then i'll do some more searching once i get back!

Thanks

glen