Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I merge partitions?

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have a dual boot setup with XP on the C: partition and Vista on the D: partition of the same disk. I have now completely migrated to Vista, so I would like to get rid of the XP partition completely and make the Vista partition C:. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 29 April 2007 - 01:08 PM.

Advertisements

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
First -> run a defrag on the vista partition to get the data closer together on the drive as to hopefully prevent file loss / corruption.

Next, I would try using a partitioning software that is independent of the OS (I use System Rescue CD: [LINK]; it's not very user-friendly though) to delete the XP partition and then resize the Vista partition to cover the rest of the drive;

I've never done this personally so I can't vouch for any data loss that might occur... It would be risky to say the least.

Another option would be to format the XP partition and then just use it as a storage partition, then just change the drive letters (although that in itself can be a pain)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
another good program is GParted. i've used this multiple times to resize partitions..you make a "live cd" and boot to it then follow their instructions for resizing and deleting partitions. they've got excellent documentation for how to run the program as well

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

another good program is GParted. i've used this multiple times to resize partitions..you make a "live cd" and boot to it then follow their instructions for resizing and deleting partitions. they've got excellent documentation for how to run the program as well

It's a great program :whistling: It's actually what's included on the system rescue CD, wasn't aware that they had a standalone livecd.. good stuff. That makes it very easy.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Sorry guys, Norton Antispam has been filtering my "Topic reply notification" emails, for no apparent reason. OK, I'm fine with using C: as a storage partition rather than deleting it, but doesn't the active partition (with the boot loaders) have to be at the start of the drive? I'm concerned about changing the drive letters because of my boot.ini, boot.sys and the "Boot" folder, as well as ntldr and ntdetect in the root of C:, which is the partition I want to delete - do I have to do something with these files first, and do I have to make D: "active" and C: "inactive"? As you can tell, I don't really know what I'm talking about..

Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 03 May 2007 - 06:02 AM.