Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Physical memory on vista

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
hi,
i just got a new laptop yesterday with vista home premium preinstalled on it.
my physical memory is constantly @ 40% use.
i have 1gb ram on here, and i wonder why 40% of that is being constantly used.
i open task manager and it shows cpu use at like 1-2% and physical memory at 40-50% use all the time
does vista just eat like half of my ram? or is it because i have an intergrated video card on here, 256mb.

thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shinakuma9...

Both. Your graphics are taking a quarter of the RAM right off the top and Vista does utilize a lot of the available resources...particularly if you are using the Aero interface. Vista does use the RAM pretty efficiently, though it wouldn't hurt your performance to drop in another gig stick. Things really smooth out with two gigs of RAM installed.

wannabe1

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Hi shinakuma9...

Both. Your graphics are taking a quarter of the RAM right off the top and Vista does utilize a lot of the available resources...particularly if you are using the Aero interface. Vista does use the RAM pretty efficiently, though it wouldn't hurt your performance to drop in another gig stick. Things really smooth out with two gigs of RAM installed.

wannabe1

yup, i know i need 2 gigs of ram on here, but im not sure if this laptop is able to expand to 2 gb of ram
Dell inspiron 1501

if it is, i will definately upgrade to 2 gb when i get the time, also, i have another question.
this laptop has an ATI radeon Xpress 1150 256mb intergrated gfx card.
now, if i upgrade to 2gb and decide to play games on this comp, will everything run smoother than if u had 1gb since the gfx card has acess to more memory?

cheers
-shinakuma9

Edited by shinakuma9, 04 May 2007 - 07:21 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
your system only supports a maximum of 2 gig of ram. check your configuration to see if you got 1 gig in a single stick of ram or 2 sticks of 512.

your video card won't access any more than 256 megs or ram.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Inspiron 1501 will accommodate 2048MB of RAM (2 gigs) so yes...you can install that much RAM, but only if you use two 1024MB sticks as it only has two slots.

Laptop machines do not make good gaming rigs is most cases. That being said, having that much RAM aboard will definitely improve the machine's performance. Keep in mind, though, that some games are very picky about which video cards they will run on.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

your system only supports a maximum of 2 gig of ram. check your configuration to see if you got 1 gig in a single stick of ram or 2 sticks of 512.

your video card won't access any more than 256 megs or ram.

hi, thanks for the response,
but im not sure u understand my question.
What i was asking is, lets say that this graphics card starts using 256mb from my ram, which is 1 gb at the moment. then it will mean that the system would have 1024-256 mb of ram left to use (im not sure how much ram vista takes up so i didn't include it). now what im asking is if i had 2048 mb of ram and the graphics card keeps using 256mb of ram, it would mean i would have 2048-256mb of ram left. now with all the extra ram i would have left, the system would be able to run alot more smoothly, correct?
since this graphics card can use up to 256mb of ram from my memory, if it does, would it be performing just as well as a graphics card with its own dedicated memory of 256mb?

cheers
-shinakuma9

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There are slight increases in speed when graphics card have thier own dedicated memory over the shared method used in onboard graphics cards. However this isn't something you can change with your laptop as the graphics card isn't something easily changed in a laptop, more or less impossible unless your an expert on laptops and really have the urge to upgrade (not advisable for anyone to do though).
I'm pretty sure thats what your asking for here.

Also just want to echo what has already been said, if your looking into gaming it would be advisable to look towards desktops and not laptops. However 2GB will run vista a heck of a lot smoother, namly with the Areo interface enabled.

James

Edited by james_8970, 08 May 2007 - 02:52 PM.