Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 7.04 Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I recently (as in hours ago) finished setting up a dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux 7.04. When I ran Linux from the live CD, it almost instantly detected my wireless network and connected me.
Now that I have it installed, it will not detect my wireless network. Not being a computer expert, I don't know how to manually configure the internet. Also, being a teenager, my dad got the network set up in my house, but seems to forget whether or not there is a password on the network.
Is there a way for me to find out this password, or if there even is a password? I desperately need my internet connection to finish my install, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
What kind of computer are you using? Is your wireless radio turned on?

The fact that you were able to going online through wireless on the Live CD makes me think that your wireless drivers are set.

In the notification area (top right panel), Right click on network manager and make sure that "Enable Wireless" is checked. Then left click on the network manager and look for your network.

Let me knwo what you find and good luck!

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks, ditto. I followed your advice, but no luck. I am Running an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with an Nvidia nForce Netwroking Controller, using a Texas Instruments Wireless Network Adapter. I have searched the web, but haven't found anything overly helpful.
Thanks for any help.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Does the enable wireless option show up or is it grayed out?

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm not in Ubuntu right now, but I am fairly sure the option shows up.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Do you see your wireless network when you left click on network manger applet? If you need a password, ask your dad for it or you can log into router's settings and change it.

I'm trying to understand what is exactly wrong.

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I went into Ubuntu and when I clicked the Network Manager, my wireless network, linksys, was there. I was just clicking around, trying to find the password, and opened the keyring manager. It gave me a password, but it was around 20 characters long, and my dad seemed to think the password was our home phone number. But, i decided to try it anway. I wasn't sure if it was an 8 Bit Hex, an ASCII, or a....(theres a third type, I don't remember, sorry), and I didn't have time to copy it into all of them and wait 10 minutes at each one until it told me it could connect or not. So, I don't really know if that was the real password or not.
Also, how do I go into my routers settings and change the password?

unicorechoice

unicorechoice

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hop on pop's computer, start an administrative session and check out the network settings, all the passwords and every setting will be set from the computer, most def that one as well. and for a password for the network, if you figure it out i know that ubuntu likes to tuck away passwords in configuration files, i had to set up one for my dial-up connection. that never worked. but yeah. i will just IM you this.