Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formating on windows vista?

• Please log in to reply

alestor666

alestor666

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm happy with windows Vista when its working how I want it to which takes a lot of tinkering to get just right well in the process of getting to the proverbial promised land many little issues have been created that just seem to be not repairable (for lack of a better word). My version of windows Vista is an upgrade disk from windows media xp I'm happy with both editions but think vista is better when taken the time to poke at it. Since i was 5 I have never had to format a hard drive and i believe the best way to fix all the issues would be to start from an empty hard drive install xp the install vista i have previously backed up all the information i wish to keep pictures save game files and what not backed up on another computer thats on a network. so I'm asking how the blast do i format the computer and on restart how does it work do i place in my xp disk on startup and it shall install or can i use the clean install of vista guide on the top of this forum will that work? all help is greatly appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
The upgrade guide is for those who have the vista upgrade version.

If you have the full version, the steps are very similar. Boot from cd, when the vista install manager appears, there will be a choice to choose "express install" or custom. Choose custom. There will be a list of your hard drives. Your choices will be to install on existing partion, delete partion, format. I typically delete the partion, recreate and format. Note that Vista will automatically format the new partition. After that, it is just a matter of following the prompts to complete the install.

After install you will want to manually update the drivers for your sound and video.

alestor666

alestor666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
well the people in my family through away the little piece of cardboard with the number on it away befor i could take the sticker off after i installed it and befor i format anything can i use the number from right clicking my computer and clicking properties and the product id? common sense says i could but when i tried to type it in in the change key window to see if it was it im told that uesing the letters o and e are not usable and those are what i need if i can use that prodoct key thing

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if you have proof of purchase, then you can contact Microsoft for a new key. the product key is generated after entering the license key.

alestor666

alestor666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
thank you for the help i found a program while searching that tells me the product key that i used to instal my OS "ProduKey" any way very grateful for the help :whistling: