Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FAQ

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
1. What is Geeks to Go?
Geeks to Go is a venue to obtain answers from other people who offer their support and expertise on a completely volunteer basis. It's a fun place where you can meet others with similar interests, or just hang out and learn something new every day. It's all about sharing -- what you know, and what you want to know. So go ahead, and post a question or reply. Meet someone new today.

2. Do I need to create an account to use Geeks to Go and what do I need to sign up?
If you want to create or reply to a topic, you will need to create an account. There is no charge for creating an account with Geeks to Go. Everything is free! You will need to supply a valid email address. We do not provide your personal information to third parties, and you will not get spam by providing your email address.

3. How do I ask a question?
It's real simple. See more details at this link: How to Create a New Topic
  • Search to see if your question has already been asked, and answered.
  • Register, if you haven't already.
  • Choose an appropriate category (forum).
  • Click the Start New Topic button.
  • Give your topic an informative title, and type your question in the big white box.
  • Click the Post New Topic button, or Preview to see what your topic will look like.
4. How will I know when my topic has a reply?
Every member automatically has email notification enabled. When your topic gets a reply, you'll automatically get an email at the address you used when registering. Additionally, you can check your subscribed topics by clicking on View Topic Subscriptions found within My Controls.

5. What if my topic doesn't get a reply?
We have a special forum called the Waiting Room (not visible to guests). If your topic is 3 days old or more, and you haven't received a reply, simply start a new thread in the Waiting Room, with a link to your topic. A staff member will reply to your original topic.

6. How is Geeks to Go different from other support forums?
We pride ourselves on offering a welcoming, family friendly site. If you see something inappropriate, or have ideas to improve the site, please contact us. We are also a teaching site, helping others to better help you. GeekU is our malware removal school. More information can be found here.

7. Why is support only offered via the forums?
  • More efficient. Instead of waiting for a specific person to respond to a request, many people have the opportunity.
  • Better support. We all have different strengths. Presenting a problem to everyone allows the person best able, a chance to respond.
  • Help others. A question posted and answered in the forums allows others with the same issue a chance to read and resolve it.
  • It's free. We ONLY offer free help. We do NOT offer on-site, toll-free or remote assistance. We're often confused with other 'geeks'.
8. How do I become a staff member?
There are primarily two ways:
  • Provide consistent, quality replies. We are much more concerned with quality than quantity. If you consistently offer quality replies, you will be contacted by a moderator or admin.
  • Graduate from GeekU. Due to the difficulty, and possibility of causing harm, only staff members are allowed to reply to topics in the malware forum. GeekU is a training course that will provide you with the knowledge needed to answer malware topics. It's not easy, and will require a time commitment of a few weeks or months. More info here.
9. Where do I find Geeks to Go Terms of Use?
The terms of use for Geeks to Go can be found here.

10. I can't find an answer to my question in this FAQ. What can I do?
Reply to this topic, and we'll reply or add the question to this FAQ!

Edited by wannabe1, 10 July 2010 - 12:23 PM.
Add correct URL to GeekU

Advertisements

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
hi... I noticed my display name is somewhat similar with another member's, actually i think he'a an admin... wondering if there's a way to change mine, since he first registered it, think i should change mine... thanks!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Changing display name, that is a good question to be added. Your display name can be changed. You need to make the request of an admin (someone in red).

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
thanks for the reply... that would be you right?... haha.... should i post it or could i just PM an admin?? :whistling:

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
sorry... just wokeup... didn't get it initially... i get it now... hahaha... got another question... why do we have hat icons under our display name??? whats that for???

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The beanie hats represent post count. The more posts, the more beanie hats you get. Just remember in your quest for hats that quality is better than quantity. :)

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
thanks for replying....its like apoint system... now i know... one last question... just wanna follow up on my application for GeekU.. usually how long does it take before a person is approved or if disapproved do you give him/her a message or notice? thanks again... :)

RiP

RiP

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 8,430 posts
Hello rip_crunch,

Please note: GeekU applications are not approved *automatically*. They are reviewed prior to acceptance or denial. If you are accepted, you will receive a pm with instructions on how to proceed. This pm is usually sent within a minimum of 24 hours of your application. However, please keep in mind that real life does intrude at times, and it may take a little longer to get to you. Please be patient with us. If you have any questions about a recently submitted application, please pm Kat with your concerns.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
thanks for the info... :whistling:

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I am ashamed, as a GeekU Senior, of asking here, but I've changed it before and can't seem to find it again :)

How do you change the number of posts displayed per page? :) :) :wave:

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Click My Controls
Followed by clicking Board settings
Change the drop down for Number of topics to show for each forum page to the appropriate number you'd like.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 October 2007 - 10:48 PM.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
:)

sorenku

sorenku

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there.

I can't add any attachments to my posts. Whenever I click the upload button, the screen just says "Uploading File..." and nothing happens. I've left the page there for over 10 minutes. Is there something I'm missing?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Is there a way to turn the post count off, and remove the beenies? I see many people who do not have beenies under their name.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I believe only full staff members don't have beanies.