Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice Needed!on H/D Size

• Please log in to reply

rparsons

rparsons

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys,
I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct place but here goes. I have 107 VHS tapes that I want to transfer on to an external harddrive and then wirelessly stream to my TV. My questions are ...1- What size external H/D will I need ? and 2- Does anyone know of any good wireless media centres ? I was looking at the KiSS DP900 but I don't know if its any good.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Rob :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
An hour of video from tape will need approx 13GB of hard-disk space. Assuming each tape has 3 hours of video on it, that's 107 x 3 = 321 hours, and 321 x 13GB = 4,173GB !!! Hard disks of that capacity don't exist. You'd better have another think about this project!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
When I record a 2.5 hour movie to MPG format on my TV tuner it takes up about 5GB of space. I Have found that my 500GB hdd is loosing space very quickly.
If you manage to get them compressed onto MPG format and fit under 5gb of space

2 500GB HDD is not unreasonable in your case. Also I would not recommend streaming video wireless unless you got a wireless N connection.
So if you manage to get them compressed onto a MPG using a on card TVtuner compression then you could do it with 2 500GB HDD or a Terabyte Hard Drive.

I would not recommend Windows Midea Center Edition becouse then what pip22 Says about 13GB is completely correct.

What I use for my PVR/Media Server/File Server is MythDora Plus Best of all it is free.

Here are some instructions on how to install it.
Here is where you get it

If you want to Get a Tv tuner to add to it I would recommend Getting a Hampague TV Tuner. They seam to work the best and in addition to that they encode on the card so it takes up Less CPU.

I would also invest in a good IR computer Remote one of the sides above did a review on one that I am planning on getting.

Also for redundancy might want to think about Doing a at Least A Raid 1.
Don't ask me how to do it yet that is my next project is setting up a Raid. Might want to go to the Hardware Forum for more info on that.