Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Battery Warning not working

• Please log in to reply

ChipsA.Hoy

ChipsA.Hoy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have an Acer Travelmate 2480 and have the settings customized to warn me when the battery is low, when I don't have the computer plugged in. But it ain't a'working. The computer monitor just goes dark, although the power light is still on. I end up having to manually turn the computer off.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Chip

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
sounds like your computer is just going into standby or sleep mode. if you don't want it to there should be power options in Control Panel to shut them off. not sure exactly where cuz I'm using xp and not vista but should be similar.
also, when you restart your pc after the screen goes black, whats the batteries status? is it low? either way it sounds like standby or sleep mode to me cuz thats what it does, the screen goes black but the power light will still be on.

good luck

ChipsA.Hoy

ChipsA.Hoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the reply. I will have to check what the battery status is. I think the machine is going into sleep or hibernation, and I don't know how to get it out of that mode without turning my PC off and then back on.

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Here is how to check the settings on a Vista laptop, and alter them.

To the left of the clock, right click the Battery/Power icon.
-Click on Power Options.
Find the plan you are currently using (It should have a filled in button) and press "Change Plan Settings"
Click "Change Advanced Settings"
Scroll down to battery, and take a look at those settings.

The one you are mentioning should be "Critical Battery Action".
Change "On Battery" to the one of your choice, either Hibernate, Sleep or Shut down.
(Note, Hibernate is recommended, but it sound like your computer is not completly hibernating as it would appear to be shut down).

Also make sure "Low Battey Notification" is set to ON, and "Low Battery Action" is set to the same as "Critical Battery Action" (so if you selected to Hibernate, put it to Hibernate as well. This gives your computer a buffer to do what it needs correctly incase it hangs.)

Additional Information
To awake from sleep mode, plugging in your computer should wake it up. This varies by computer manufacture however due to BIOS diffrences.

To awake it in general, moving the mouse, pressing a key on the keyboard, or pressing (BUT NOT HOLDING) the power button will turn it back on.

To awake from Hibernate mode, press the power button after the lights have turned off. It should appear exactly like it does when it is shut down.