Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Handycams and mini-DVDs

• Please log in to reply

light seeker

light seeker

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I am new to using forums, so I appreciate your patience and, of course, all you wonderful geeks who offer support to the world.
I recently purchased a Sony Handycam DVD505 and have been frustrated with the mini-DVDs. My intent was to be able to remove the little mini, place it in my PC tablet or school-teacher dvd burner and edit. The idea was that another high school student in my multimedia class could use the camera with another mini-DVD while we downloaded the first. Neither computer seems to recognize the mini-DVD unless it remains in the camera and is plugged into the computer!
I am using the DVD-RW disks (I don't know the difference between a DVD-RW and a DVD+RW).
As a teacher about to start school and just learning about these camcorders, I sure would appreciate any advice or ideas before school starts in a couple weeks.
Thanks a million!!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
To playback mini-DVD on a PC, you need to install some DVD-player software such as 'WinDVD'. This contains the 'decoding' software which allows the disc to be played. Your Sony Handycam already has this decoding software built in, which is why you can play it back when in the camera but not otherwise. Many people think Windows Media Player can play DVD-movies, but that's not the case. It needs a separate bit of software in order to do that. The most popular software for playing dvd-movie content is listed here:
http://dvd-player-so...tenreviews.com/

light seeker

light seeker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the tip, Pip22. The site you linked provides great information and looks like it should really help out. I appreciate your taking the time and making the effort.