Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best antivirus software?

• Please log in to reply

Clemson4life81

Clemson4life81

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi guy's I just got Vista and so far I'm loving it. But, I heard theres lot's of viruses. I currently have AVG and I'm looking for another program. I also have Ad-Aware...I'm out of cash and need the best possible protection for the moment.

Advertisements

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
For your anti-virus, you should ONLY have one. Having more than one makes you LESS secure instead of more than.

For antiviruses, I think it's best if you go with Avast. It's a great free program.

For antispyware, I use AVG Anti Spyware and SUPERAntiSpyware. I also use SpywareBlaster.

All of the programs I listed are very secure, and they're all free. I'd recommend you go to this link to learn more about the programs and how to use them.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
On Vista I have Avast, Superantispyware and Spywareblaster no problems

Clemson4life81

Clemson4life81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Is it safe to have mutiple programs for atispyware?

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Is it safe to have mutiple programs for atispyware?

Yes, it's actually a lot safer if you just run with just one anti-spyware. Not one antispyware program can get rid of all the malware out there, it's best to go with two.

SUPERAntiSpyware takes forever for my computer to scan... I dunno why, it's taking 21 hours right now, and it's not close to done yet.

belmontboy2001

belmontboy2001

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I installed SpywareBlaster and when i try to run it it says '' SpywareBlaster has stopped working''........

Help !!!

Thanks

belmontboy2001

belmontboy2001

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I installed SpywareBlaster and when i try to run it it says '' SpywareBlaster has stopped working''........

Help !!!

Thanks

I just found the solution.

Data Execution Prevention was preventing Spywareblaster from running. I added Spywareblaster to the ignore list, and it works now.

VISTA has so many different protection methods, that it is difficult to determine which one is interfering, and how to fix the conflict.

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I can most certainly suggest you stay away from McAfee and Norton. McAfee keeps suggesting you upgrade and buy more software even though you're already protected, Norton is almost impossible to remove, and both slow you system significantly. My sister uses the free version of AVG and it seems to be quite good, plus you can't beat that price with a stick!

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

I can most certainly suggest you stay away from McAfee and Norton.

agreed haha. :)

i am currently using latest version of kaspersky internet security, also includes a firewall, all compatible with vista. :wave: