Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End Program - sw

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
My wife's computer is now displaying a window that says "End Program - sw" whenever we try to shut the computer down. Anybody know what that is and why its suddenly showing up?

Advertisements

luk79

luk79

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
check this:
http://www.symantec..../...-99&tabid=3

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

check this:
http://www.symantec..../...-99&tabid=3

Thank you for your recommendation. I did follow your link to the symantec webpage for Spyware.SilentSpy and read through the detials of what this spyware does. I then followed the removal process beginning at step 2 "To delete the subkeys and values from the registry" and this is what I found. I accessed the registry and, according to step c., should have found the value "SSConfig" = "SW.exe" in the right pane under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I did not find it there.

Under step e., I should have found the subkey "SW" in the left pane under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software

I did not find that one either.

Under step f., I did find the subkey "SW" under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum

but when I tried to delete it I got the following message:

Error Deleting Key
Cannot delete SW: Error while deleting key

I then proceeded to step g. and found the value
"0" = "SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96d8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4}"

under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kmixer\Enum

I chose not to try and delete that value because I wasn't sure if it was important to find all the values and subkeys listed in the removal directions and delete them in the order listed in those instructions.

So, a few questions here. 1) Even though symantec's instructions for removal of Spyware.SilentSpy indicates these various values and subkeys for removal, does that mean that each of those values and subkeys are supposed to be found in the registry and if so, is it important to remove them in the order given by symantec's removal instructions? 2) If only a couple of the values and subkeys are found, can I delete those items safely even though there are other values and subkeys indicated by the instructions that I didn't find? 3) I was unable to delete the "SW" subkey in step f. and got the message: "Error Deleting Key - Cannot delete SW: Error while deleting key". Could that be due to the fact that the values and subkeys I was supposed to find in the registry in steps c. and e. were not found?

Thanks again for your help!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..