Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem extending volume partition

• Please log in to reply

geekako

geekako

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
i previously have 2 partitions in my 160 Gb harddrive. one 40Gb (C:)for system, os, and programs, and the other 160Gb (D:) is for my data. Then i suddenly realized that 40Gb for system and programs isnt enough. so i am trying to extend my C:. I have some free space in my D: so i shrunk it to 154Gb. then this happened.

Untitled.jpg

but even making a free unallocated space i still can not extend my C: but i have an option to extend D:
i think that this is because of the positioning of the unallocated space. i think in order to extend my C:, the unallocated space must be adjacent to it. but that is just my guess.

If i was right about the positioning idea, what can i do to have the unallocated space in the adjacent part of the C:?
If my guess was wrong, what do you guys think the problem is?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Geekako,

This is a great new feature to Windows Vista. I just did some research on my Virtual Machine. Your idea is right on target.
How I would go about this depends on how much data you have on drive D.

Edited by tuxmaster, 14 October 2007 - 02:07 AM.

geekako

geekako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
thanks tuxmaster for the reply. i solved it already. i discovered a partition management software (acronis) and with that i was able to move the unallocated space beside my C:// so i was able to expand C.