Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Privacy

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I was wondering, is it possible for your ISP to view your webpage history? For them to know what sites you visited and when? If this is the case, it's violation of privacy, right? Your thoughts on this?

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, anyone can know what pages you visit. You leave your IP address behind, and webmasters can see it. However, the ISP or the webmaster of a certain site can't just type the address and get the name and address of you. They need to have special permission from a court.

I'm not sure if the ISP logs the websites you have visited :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm pretty sure an ISP can view whatever you see, as they are the "vehicle" that brings it to you anyway...

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
and im willing to bet that in the fine print of the papers you signed, when you chose the ISP, it say's they have legal rights to see what your doing on their server (if they need to).

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Big Brother sees all! Privacy across their hardware. Liability clause.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 11:51 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Always assume that you have NO privacy on the Internet.

And, of course your ISP can see your web history (if they want to...)
Johanna

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
The point is:

ISP can. ISP don't. Edit: Inappropriate comment removed
P.S. Johanna I like your title "The leather lady" :)

Edited by frantique, 27 October 2007 - 07:38 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hi, Fredil!
Why does my title make you laugh? I admin http://leatherworker.net/forum/ which is the largest online community for leatherworkers in the world.

Slikkie-
No, no, there is no "violation of privacy" when an ISP knows your web history. You paid them to negotiate the Internet, and they probably would not release your web surfing activity without formal documents from law enforcement officials.

An ISP needs to know certain information from you, the surfer, and the site visited, in order to make the connection. Because all computer activity is done on, well, computers, all steps are logged. Does your ISP pull your records and determine whether or not you are a safe, sane and moral person? No, that's a job for mothers and wives. (j/k)
Johanna