Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 7.10 | Compiz Fusion Effects | USB Headset

• Please log in to reply

Jban

Jban

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello Support Peeps, I'll lay out some background information first before moving onto my questions...

Introduction:
Ubuntu 7.10
Dell XPS_Gen_2 laptop
Nvidia Gefore 6800 Ultra Go
2 GB of RAM
Operating system environment: stable
Most Effects / Compiz Fusion appear to work correctly (except for 2: which is part of my questions)
Compiz-Fusion Manager successfully installed / Nvidia 100.14.19 drivers working / Display is my Gateway FPD2185W, not the default laptop display.

Issue 1: I am unable to get the "Water" effect to work, specificly where you should be able to hit <Control><Super><Button1> and wherever you move your mouse curser, Water should ripple from it.

------> The other water effects [do] work though; the Shift+F9 and the wiper effect to. The standard water effect even worked when I was running Mandriva2008 Live-CD, but I love Ubuntu 7.10 much better, and it's so far pretty stable, so I need help with this issue. Any ideas? When I go into the Compiz settings and try to assign a key, even clicking "default" it doesn't apply it when I click apply, and the "Activate" is disabled?

Issue 2: I cannot get it to display the Cube effect.

-------> I have all the Cube effects successfully selected (Cube / Cube Reflection / Rotate Cube), and I already have it configured correctly in the General Options settings (Desktop Size: Horizontal 4 / Vertical 1 / Number of Desktops 1). But even if I change these numbers around, it doesn't make a difference. Also, I only have two "work spaces" available at the bottom right, and I can't add any more than two. Does this have something to do with the face of me using my LCD monitor as my display, and my laptop one isn't?

[Additional Information regarding Issue 1 & 2 follows]

---> Before, I was unable to also use the Fire Effect, but after disabling the "Annotate" Pluggin in the Compiz effect Manager (the one that lets you write on your desktop as if it was with a marker or crayon), it then allowed me to do the Fire Effect. Could there be other pluggins doing this? It never spoke of a conflict between Annotate and Fire, either, but I am new to Linux, so I would not know even if it was common knowledge.

Issue 3:
Logitech USB Headset 350 sound from things like YouTube does not come through the USB headset, despite me having it selected as my Device in the Sound Options, and all the options selected as "USB Headset." What do I need to do here? Programs such as Skype, Pidgin both put their sound through the headset.

Thank you your time & patience. Please keep in mind that I am a [Beginner} Linux user, but I am not slow to learn, and if you explain things clearly to me and walk me through it, I will be able to understand & ask questions.

Regards,
James

Edited by Jban, 20 October 2007 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

yayubuntu

yayubuntu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
im having the water effect problem too.. and i can do the shift f9 thing as well..... perhaps theres another program it cant run with like the fire and annotate thing.... ill experiment if i discover anything ill tell ya =/

yayubuntu

yayubuntu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i got it! when youre in actions, in general, click next to initiate and when it says "new accelerator" just type in the keys you want for it ^_^ hehe we r nubs =P