Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can WMP Do For Me What Real Player Does?

• Please log in to reply

Big-Vern

Big-Vern

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello guys.
I'm pig sick of Real Player, it keeps crashing on me. But I do like the way it's download manager gently hovers over any video I am viewing and provides a nice little prompt and effortless download. My question is can WMP do the same thing and how do I configure it to do so? Failing that how do I get to use WMP as my video downloader because as it came shipped with the system I am presuming it will be a lot more reliable than Real Player for example.
Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Whilst Windows Media Player does allow you to play online video content, it is not a direct replacement for Realplayer since it cannot play files which are encoded in Realplayer's own proprietary formats. Only Realplayer can do that.

Big-Vern

Big-Vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi pip22 - Thanks for your response, that kind of answers my question. I have downloaded the new beta version of the basic Realplayer and it seems to be a little bit more stable. We shall see.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
What a strange world we live in - a beta version more stable than a finished version! Good luck.