Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download HijackThis at all?HELP

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Would somebody PLEASE help me download HijackThis.... I have tried it from several locations and it simply will not download onto my computer. I have a Compaq Presario 5242 and run Windows 98. Thanks!

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi sylamore and welcome

Please visit this Topic Run through all the steps in it please,

Then see if you can download it,

Are you trying to unzip the program and don't have a zip program ?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hi Don77 and thanks for the response. I went thru the list and have done all those things. Hijackthis still will not download. When it finishes RealPlayer opens then I get a box that says the program is not supported and it won't open. Is Realplayer even supposed to open in order to run Hiijackthis? I am totally confused. Thanks

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

When it finishes RealPlayer opens then I get a box that says the program is not supported and it won't open. Is Realplayer even supposed to open in order to run Hiijackthis? I am totally confused. Thanks

No its not,, Has this been happening all along ?

Where did you download it to on your computer ?
Have you tried to close out realplayer and find HJT and try to run it ?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hi again...Yes, I closed out realplayer, in fact, I deleted it from my programs. I tried saving hjt to my desktop in it's own folder, my documents in it's own file and have also tried just opening it when the download was finished....all to no avail. I didn't think realplayer was supposed to have anything to do with it at all. Weird, huh? This has been happening for over a week now. I have tried downloading hjt from about 10 different sites, including the link on geeks. They all have the same result. Any clue? Thanks

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Do you have a zip program ? to unzip it ?

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
what Operating system you using windows 98 or ME ?

Also did you have any problems running CWShredder ? that had to be unzipped as well ?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I guess WinZip is a zip program, right? I have that. I run Windows 98. I had no problem with CWShredder. It worked just fine.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
CWSHredder unzipped with no problem?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
No problems at all....

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
redownload hijackthis from a different site...at times, you will find the occassional corrupt compressed archive.

Also, line noise and communication issues may result in corrupt archives.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hi gerryf and thanks for your response.....I have already tried downloading HJT from more than 10 different websites. I have never had any problem with downloads until this one. Thanks

Edited by sylamore, 18 April 2005 - 07:33 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hold on a second

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.thecomput...c.com/nothj.exe

download that...and when you say you cannot download, do you mean DOWNLOAD, or run?

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Right click this link and click save as and then save it to your desktop or somewhere you can find it. it will be called hijackthis.zip
http://files4.majorg.../hijackthis.zip

did this work for you? it sounds like you have realplayer setup to open up zip files for some reason