Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Electronic Notebook to Notebook communication

• Please log in to reply

Electric Enigma

Electric Enigma

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This morning, on my way to school, an idea struck me: With today's technology, what's to say that things like the journeybook from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series aren't possible?

For those of you not well versed with Terry Goodkind, the journeybooks were books made in pairs. Whatever was written in one book would automatically appear in the other book.

My idea is this: Using the tablet PC notebook software of touch-screen writing, create digital notebooks that have this same feature. They would be made in pairs or sets or whatever amount that people needed. They could use the net or whatever other ideas for connecting at distances, and they would auto-update whenever someone wrote something on one of them.

And yes, they would be in notebook form, if just a tad bulkier.

What do you think? Possible or impossible?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Of course it's possible, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar exists already.

Does the idea of a server count? Meaning, when someone updates content (for example, a Word Document), then anyone connected to the server can access the updated version.

Instant Messenger programs come to mind as another similar idea.

Or am I on the wrong track?

Electric Enigma

Electric Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, the main idea I'm trying to push for something like this is because my girlfriend had her cell phone and internet priveleges taken away. I'm stuck about six hours away from her right now, so I figured if something like this was out there...well, I thought I could buy a pair of these and give her one. Ta-da! New communication.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well, this new machine you wish to invent may be taken away from her too :)

My thoughts were along the cell-phone or internet theory, so unless there's some kind of satellite version you both could use... But I wouldn't be surprised if something like this isn't too far down the road.

Interesting idea, though.

Electric Enigma

Electric Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, she'd either have to claim it to be a gift to make note taking easier for her in class, or just flat out hide it. lol

As for ways of connecting, I was thinking along the lines of wireless net or just flat out hijacking one of the many cellular companies airwaves.

One possibility pointed out to me on another board is the Nokia n800. That phone is freaking 399.99 by itself, though. @_@ And it has a whole bunch of features that I absolutely don't want. I simply want what was stated, roughly, in the first post.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I certainly wasn't thinking along the lines of a product from a manufacturer such as Nokia, as "cell-phone" privileges didn't count... I thought.

Although I was just thinking about it a minute ago - one of those transponder thingies from the movie "Richie Rich", where Rich is looking for his dad and it says "Dad not found" :) I remember watching that movie as a kid.

Electric Enigma

Electric Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I certainly wasn't thinking along the lines of a product from a manufacturer such as Nokia, as "cell-phone" privileges didn't count... I thought.

Although I was just thinking about it a minute ago - one of those transponder thingies from the movie "Richie Rich", where Rich is looking for his dad and it says "Dad not found" :) I remember watching that movie as a kid.

LOL! I remember that, too.

And, again, this would, for the most part, just revolve around being a tad sneaky.

Ah well. Thanks for your help.