Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing windows vista

• Please log in to reply

yvain4

yvain4

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello everyone

Ok ive tried to install windows vista 64 bit on my new pc i have just recently built. i got most of the way through the installation until the pc had to restart to finish the installation. when it boots from the hard drive for the first time i get an error that says windows has encountered an error and the installation cannot proceed. and that i have to reinstall windows vista. so i click ok to restart and i get one long continuous beep. "motherboard manual says it can be a dram error" i check my memory and its all in there seated fine. so i reset all my bios and everything to default and set cd rom to boot first then hard drive. i restart and install vista again and i get the same thing.. anyone know whats going on?

also atm i have this cheap old onboard s3 video card in just to install vista could this be part of the problem or adding to it as well?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi yvain4 and welcome to our friendly forum! It could well be the graphics card that's 'letting the side down', so to speak. Especially as you say it's an old on-board s3 model.

The following page does give very specific requirements of the type of graphics card you need and the amount of video-memory it needs to have:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919183

Although you say it's 64-bit Vista, you don't say which version (ie Home, Premium or Ultimate.
The Premium & Ultimate versions need more powerful graphics support than the Home version to drive the 'Aero' and 'Aero-Glass' visuals repectively,
and all versions need a graphics card that's DirectX 9 compatible. It must also have passed the Microsoft "Windows Aero Acceptance Test".
That definitely doesn't apply to your S3 card.

I would say you need to change that at least, then see if Vista will install.

Edited by pip22, 14 November 2007 - 05:06 PM.

yvain4

yvain4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok what i have is windows vista home basic 64 it edition.. i have my new video cards which are evga 8800gt super clocked.. and yes it was my old s3 card. now that i have the new cards installed im still getting problems installing.. i get the the point where windows needs to restart to complete installation and i get this error "the computer has restarted unexpectedly or encountered m error windows installation cannot proceed. to install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." No matter what i try i couldnt get passed the error screen. except for one time where i actually completed the installation and began installing my motherboard drivers and then it restarted and same thing.. only this time i got the bsod and nothing else when loading.

sorry about all the typing just trying o give as much info as i can to help resolve the issue