Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW TO BURN AN IMAGE TO DISC

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
HOW TO BURN AN IMAGE TO DISC

Images are not only pictures that you view (like a family photo), but also a single file that contains everything you need. I personally think of it as a zipped folder, except to "unzip" it, you need to "burn it as an image". You can read more about it here.
Some common examples of this I've seen in the Geeks to Go! Forums are Linux distributions and downloadable utilities, such as Memtest86+. For this example, I will be using Memtest86+.

First of all, you need to have the .iso file on your computer and ready to go. For this example, navigate to the Memtest86+ Download Page and download the latest version. It's the file up the top entitled "Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)". Extract the .zip folder so you have the .iso file ready to go.

Using Nero 6
As Nero 6 is a popular program, I will start with this. If you don't have Nero, scroll down for another option.

1) Open Nero StartSmart, and select CD from the pull-down menu at the top.

2) Move the mouse over the picture called "Copy and Backup" and then click the option entitled "Burn Image to Disc".

3) Navigate to the .iso file you wish to burn - in this example, it's called "memtest86+-2.10.iso". Click Open.

4) Insert your blank disc and ensure the correct drive is selected for the "Destination Drive".

5) For reliability, change the "Writing speed" to something nice and slow, such as 8x or 10x - I find burning any disc too fast can create errors, which then takes longer to fix... Slowing it down in the first place may add an extra few seconds (or minutes, depending on the file being burnt), but will avoid these errors.

6) Click the "Next" button and you're away! Wait patiently and it should finish shortly. The Memtest86+ example is a very small image, so it finishes very quickly.

7) Nero will finish and eject the disc for you. Label it appropriately and there you have it - a disc that was burnt from an image.

Using BurnCDCC
This freeware utility is very simple and light.

If you don't have BurnCDCC, you can download it here.

1) Open BurnCDCC. You do not need to install this program, it runs by itself.

2) Click on the "Browse" button and navigate to the .iso file you wish to burn - in this example, it's called "memtest86+-2.10.iso". Click Open.

3) Insert your blank disc and ensure the correct drive is selected under "Device".

4) Ensure the "Finalize" box is checked.

5) Using the slider bar under "Speed", I recommend you slow it down to around 8x or 10x - too fast can cause errors (as described in step 5 above).

6) BurnCDCC will finish and eject the disc for you. Label it appropriately and there you have it - a disc that was burnt from an image.

How to Check your Image Burnt Successfully

1) Insert your disc into the drive.

2) Navigate to the drive from My Computer (if AutoPlay doesn't start it automatically)

If you didn't burn the file properly, all you will see is a .iso file in the folder.

If you did burn the file properly, you should see files and folders as was intended.

For the example of Memtest86+, all you will see is a simple readme.txt file which has this message:

There is no visible file here.

Memtest86+ is located on the bootsector of this CD.

Just boot from this CD and Memtest86+ will launch.

Cheers :)

EDIT: Update to avoid confusion between Nero versions.
EDIT 2: Updated to latest version of Memtest86+.
EDIT 3: To run the memtest86+ for memory diagnostics, reboot your computer with the CD/DVD in the optical drive, ensuring the optical drive is set in the "boot priority" prior to the hard drive.

Edited by Troy, 30 January 2009 - 07:26 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi everyone,

I have written this short tutorial as an update. BurnCDCC is still an excellent free option and has not changed. This tutorial update addresses Nero version 8.

For the purposes of this update, I will be making a memory testing CD, Windows Memory Diagnostic. You can download the program from here. You can read the Microsoft User Guide here. Run the mtinst.exe program, agree to the EULA, and select the option to "Save CD Image to Disk..." Save the file to your desktop for easy access. :)

Once you have a .iso file ready to be burnt, then you can burn it in the following way, using Nero 8:
  • Open the Nero 8 "StartSmart" program
  • Select the "Rip and Burn" tab
  • Click on the "Burn Data Disc" option
  • A new window will open. Select "Image, Project, Copy" from the vertical menu on the left
  • Select the option "Disc Image or Saved Project"
  • A dialog box will appear, asking you for the file you wish to burn. Navigate to the desktop and select the windiag.iso file. Click Open
  • On the next window, the small arrow to the left will open up some further options. This is where you can change the burn speed. I still recommend 10x for CDs and 6x for DVDs.
  • Once the settings are to your liking, and a blank disc is inserted into the selected drive and ready to go, press Burn. At this point, don't forget to yell out "Burn baby, BURN!" :)
  • Nero 8 should eject the disc once finished - label as appropriate.
You can finish and exit the program. If you no longer need it, feel free to delete the mtinst.exe and windiag.iso files from your desktop.

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: To run the memtest86+ for memory diagnostics, reboot your computer with the CD/DVD in the optical drive, ensuring the optical drive is set in the "boot priority" prior to the hard drive.

Edited by Troy, 30 January 2009 - 07:26 AM.

Noviciate

Noviciate

Confused Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,567 posts
My personal choice is http://infrarecorder.org/ which is another free, GPL version 3, solution.
  • Run the program and select the Write Image option in the main window.
  • Navigate to the .iso file that you downloaded and double click it.
  • Insert a blank disc into the correct CD drive.
  • Click OKand sit back and relax.
  • The disc will be ejected when the task is complete so, unless you uncheck this option, mind the drawer!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have windows 7 just double click on the .ISO file and burn away...no other program is necessary...
it even opens the correct tray if you have more than 1 optical drive...
I recommend you put a tick in the verify box

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
tom_hardy

Welcome to GeekstoGo

Thank you for posting.
However Ultra ISO, requires purchase, apart from a free trial.
BurnCDCC and

Img Burn
http://www.imgburn.com/

and indeed other such programs are free and do not require purchase.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Good point Mac. Also everyone take note that whilst Nero is a paid-for program also, most DVD burners (optical drives) will come with an included copy (here in Australia anyway) hence why I initially used it.

Also Roxio is common as a program already installed on some new computers however I am not familiar with it. If anyone wants to throw up a quick how-to with Roxio (or any other common program) I'd be glad to have it included.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your running windows 7 you don't need anything...just right click on the .iso...
select burn disk image

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hello, just wondering, is this tutorial still applicable/working as of today if we want to burn Windows 7 .iso to a DVD ? Because if so, I'll recommend it to a user I'm currently assisting.

Thank you.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Should still be relevant :)

Not sure if it's mentioned above but lately I've been using ISO Recorder by Alex Feinman.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Should still be relevant :)

Not sure if it's mentioned above but lately I've been using ISO Recorder by Alex Feinman.

Doesn't looks like it :P
I considered making a short one on ImgBurn as I always recommend it so I was wondering.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

If you do, I could add it into the first post for you if you like.