Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista updates fail after download, install, & reboot

• Please log in to reply

LTDigital

LTDigital

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

Since first upgrading to Vista, I have always had one update that wouldn't install, the Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB929729), but now, I have nine. Anyone have any clues as to why they fail upon reboot and cofigure?

thanks...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB942615)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB929729)
Security Update for Windows Vista (KB941568)
Security Update for Windows Vista (KB941569)
Security Update for Windows Vista (KB942624)
Security Update for Windows Vista (KB943078)
Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB941229)
Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [December 2007] (KB905866)
Update for Windows Vista (KB941649)

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello LTDigital,

Is there a specific error code that you are receiving when you attempt to install these updates?

Ax

LTDigital

LTDigital

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, thanks for responding.

The error code for Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB929729) is 66A, which comes up right after downloading and installing. There are no error codes for the other eight.

What's interesting is that after the reboot and configuration, the updating appears to be successful with the exception of the one above. But then within minutes, the "New Updates Available" shows me the same nine updates again.

:)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Thanks for the added information. Please see the following Microsoft KB and work through it:
When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603"

The error code is different, but I think it should help you.

Regards,

Ax