Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XBox 360 Disc Read Error

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Hey, guys, my brother was playing Mass Effect a lot today. He played like four hours straight then turned it off for about three hours to watch the football game. And then played two to three hours straight again, and then it said that the disc read an error and we pressed 'Play Game' on the user interface and the XBox 360 sounded like itwas having a hard time reading the disc. I've had this 360 for about a week now, I got it Christmas Eve night, but I believe I had I had already ordered it a couple of weeks before Christmas, but it's still very new. Is this something I should be worried about?

Other games that my 360 has had troubles reading is Forza Motosport 2 (the first night I opened it, it wouldn't read it once, but then I ejected, then put it back in, and it worked), NBA 2k8 (just once), and my brothers had it happen to them with some MLB game they rented too. Now that I think about it, this has happened to all the games I've had, but it only happens in the beginning. Tonight with the Mass Effect problem was the first time this issue happened when it just said some instructions. Something like "1. Clean the disc, 2. (I forgot what number 2 said) then it said something about contacting XBox on the bottom of the screen."

I took the disc out (the disc was really hot, but I'm not surprised considering it's always been hot after someone played it for an hour, this happens to all my discs) and put it back in after about ten minutes, and it worked again.

My 360 is horizontal, and the air circulation around it is spacious. The same goes for the power box. The only thing that stands in the way of the fan 'outage?' is a couple of wires, but it's not like it's really close to the vent of the 360.

I'm a little worried about it, and I'd appreciate any type of advice. I'm very nervous and worried that I have to send it in and get it fixed again because my parents hate it when that happens, but I guess what has to be done should be done, but I still want to know if this is normal or if this sounds really bad or not. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Advertisements