Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing....Please Help

• Please log in to reply

nofinga911

nofinga911

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi everyone, I just purchased a Gateway - Q6600 Desktop Model: GM5632E two days ago. Just a few minutes ago my computer froze for the second time. It seems to freeze once I turn the computer on and it displays my desktop. I could not open any programs and it would not let me shut down. I waited a long time and nothing happened. This is the second time I was forced to improperly shut the system down. Why is it freezing? and how can I stop this from happening? Thanks

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I have to ask what changes you have made. Did you add hardware or software, what was the last thing that you did befor you shut it down. Is this machine brand new never touched? If so take it back and get a different one ( may be a memory problem and you should not have to deal with that from a new machine)

nofinga911

nofinga911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
The only thing I downloaded was some videos from my camcorder using the software it came with and I also downloaded AOL.

Hello,
I have to ask what changes you have made. Did you add hardware or software, what was the last thing that you did befor you shut it down. Is this machine brand new never touched? If so take it back and get a different one ( may be a memory problem and you should not have to deal with that from a new machine)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Did the problem start after you installed the camcorder software? go into safe mode (press F8 while the machine is starting up) and remove the camcorder software (you can always put it back on) and see if that is the problem. My thinking is the camcorder software is conflicting with media center and you can not remove media center.

nofinga911

nofinga911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok I just left everything and it hasnt froze anymore...but I need some advice on something...I dont know anything beyond the basics of how to tell if a computer is good or not and I know that the computer I have is supposed to be somewhat amazing with great speed. I do not feel like it is nearly as good as it should be. My mothers computer has about half the performance as mine, she has 1 gig ram (thats all I remember) and her internet and programs all seem to load way faster then mine. Could there be something wrong with my new computer?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I could not answer that with out knowing your machines specs (cpu speed, amount of ram) and what programs are running in the background. programs like norton slow a computer down as does any large program.

nofinga911

nofinga911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok heres a link to the specs... http://reviews.cnet....7-32670774.html

And a list of everything running...
Intel viiv software
Aol
Mcafee security center
Napster
BigFix2

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
May I suggest that you post a Hijackthis log in the malware forum please. I am not qualified to help you but there are many people who can. Your specs are impressive so even though you have some resource hogs running your machine should be reeaaly fast

nofinga911

nofinga911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am new here and not sure what your are speaking of but I will check it out...thanks

May I suggest that you post a Hijackthis log in the malware forum please. I am not qualified to help you but there are many people who can. Your specs are impressive so even though you have some resource hogs running your machine should be reeaaly fast

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
sorry, my fault first go
here

than post a log
here

nofinga911

nofinga911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hey can you explain to me what exactly I have to do? I looked at the link but I am a little behind when it come to technology can you help me out? What is a hijack this log? whats the purpose? how do i do one? can you please help me out because I am about to go exchange my comp for a new one but I would love to avoid it if there is any way to fix this...thanks

sorry, my fault first go
here

than post a log
here

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, I did not want you to feel forgotten. You have brought up a very good issue, you have never heard of hijackthis. OK I am not allowed to give help with this BUT I WILL get some one who can. Please give me a little time to think

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
please read THIS while I look for a link on how to post a log.
please note that obove the vista forum is the malware forums

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The best thing that I can tell you is to go HERE and start a new topic asking for help.