Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linux in a win2003 AD environment

• Please log in to reply

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
haven't been to this forum in a really long time, i kind of miss it.

anyway. at work here we've got hundreds of windows machines in our domain. we're using the active directory. i want to run any flavor of linux on a couple machines. the hard part is getting them to join the domain, get listed in the AD, and authenticate to it so any domain user can log in, and can have equal permissions. does anyone know of a distro that will play nice "out of the box" with windows servers? also i have problems authenticating to our microsoft ISA server that is our firewall/gateway for the internet. this means i can't really use a package manager on the linux box, so if the necessary tools are on the cd/dvd that would be great. i'm trying to stop my company's addiction to the microsoft drug. and the best way would be to get linux working with our network.

i'm not a noob to linux, just having problems getting one to work with our network.

any suggestions on a distro? thanks.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
At this point in time I would say SUSE Linux Enterprise Edition from Novel. They year long association with Microsoft has made them a leader in interoperability with M$. The resent settlement with the EU has opened up the M$ specs for the networking protocols used by M$ and you will see large improvements in sharing files from SAMBA in the near future and this should benefit all distros.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i had tried opensuse, but i suppose enterprise edition will give me much better results.

thank you.