Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 32 vs 64

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Greetings!

I just bought parts for a new computer- this will be the first that I have put together.

I ordered Vista and as I understand it, the in-box version is 32-bit but it comes with a voucher for a free 64-bit version?

1. Is that correct?

2. Do you choose one or the other, or are they both simultaneously installed?

thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Depends. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. It also depends whether you get an OEM version or an Retail version.
2) You could have both installed if you want.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I purchased the retail version just in case of future upgrades, etc.

Would having both vista 32 and vista 64 installed bog things down and create some issues? (i.e.- will performance be hurt). I'm new to the dual operating system idea so sorry for all the questions! thanks!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can dual-boot as many operating systems as you need/want to and any issues you encounter would be that of the operating system you're using at the time.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
1. would you choose on start-up or would one operating system become 'default'? Also, do you need to download drivers for both 32-bit AND 64-bit? (for the video card, for instance)

2. At this point, is it better to stick with 32-bit, or have enough drivers/patches become available for the 64-bit version? I do have 4 GB of RAM bought for my new (and first) build.

Thank you!!

Edited by Crunchy409, 08 January 2008 - 04:33 PM.