Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strangely Broken Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

udernation

udernation

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I set up a wireless network that looked like this:

Internet --> Wireles Router --> XP Desktop --> Printer
|
Vista Laptop

This was all working fine until I started tweaking vista on my laptop and downloading vista updates. Then suddenly, my vista laptop can't detect the desktop, although my desktop can detect the laptop (although it can't access it).

I've installed all updates for vista between installing the network and this problem.
I've changed services in services.msc. Although I've changed it all back to what it was before.
I removed some 'Windows Functions' from 'Control Panel/Programs/Programs and Features.

Finally, the broadband that I'mbroadcasting via the wireless network is stll working - so some aspect of the network is still up.

Anyone out there can help me?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, I am hippiefreakcomputergeek. Welcome to Geeks To Go.
I would like to ask if your laptop can connect to the internet.
Also, have you tried system restore to a point before you tweaked Vista?
Sometimes the problem is with making sure network discovery is turned on but it could also be a firewall issue..
Please give me some more info.
Thank you

Edited by hippiefreakcomputergeek, 08 January 2008 - 06:06 PM.

udernation

udernation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can connect to the internet which si wireless. It's coming from the desktop computer.

I haven't tried system restore - but as it's a new install, i'm a bit scared to as i'll lose everything i've done to make it the way I want.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Just so I am clear, the Vista laptop is connecting to the internet wirelessly? If so please open control panel, open network and sharing and make sure that network discovery is on. Please tell me what firewall you are using? you have to set it to allow your computer to be seen on the network. You will also have to set the security to allow the other computer to access the Vista machine

udernation

udernation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The vista laptop is connecting to the net wirelesly.

Network discovery is on.

No firewall.

How do I set security to allow the other computer to access the Vista machine?

Nevertheless, I cannot print or file share because the Vista laptop cannot detect the XP desktop.
But the XP desktop CAN detect the Vista laptop, it simply cannot access it.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Ok first things first, the xp machine will only be able to access files or folders that you have shared (right click, look for "share" on the drop down menu, select who to share with) (if share is not on the drop down menu you can not share it) (petty much the same for XP)
second on the XP machine, make sure that there is not a firewall blocking the computer from being seen, open control panel, open up network connections, look for a setting that says "hide this computer" and uncheck it. also go here

udernation

udernation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Turns out the solution was as simple as turning UAC back on. Thanks anyway guys!