Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Vista from dual boot system

• Please log in to reply

Storman

Storman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
We have an older PC which originally only had XP on it. We then installed Vista on a seperate partition when MS had early Trial copies. This now duel boots with Vista being the default system.

However, that Vista trial expired ages ago and we now want to remove it leaving only XP behind. I been told that this is not as easy as it sounds.

At the moment it's a pain because you manually have to switch it to XP otherwise it will automatically boot into Vista (which is unusable). We also want that partition back to use as storage space.

Is this easy to do ? I really want to get rid of that dual boot screen and boot straight into XP again.

Advertisements

cathudog

cathudog

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
When I was a beta tester and dual booting I had the same problem removed the vista install and than I had to do a repair install on the XP version because of the system coming up with an error code cannot find boot leader which is on Vista and when you take Vista out of the loop the system is lost on what to boot into. The other way is to boot into the recovery console and do a repair boot inf or something like that do a Google search and you will find a bunch of ways to take care of your problem> I used to have the procedure right at my system because I had to do it many times but its been awhile. I will try and find the procedure for you.http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html Here is one site http://www.kellys-ko.../win_xp_rec.htm

Storman

Storman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
That sounds good :)

Those links seems to have some good info. I'll give it a try !

Many thanks :)