Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Received Files

• Please log in to reply

Domo

Domo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So my friend sent me a file over Windows Live Messenger, and of course it went into my Received Files folder. Only thing, I can't access it. Vista decides to be mean and say it's "potentially dangerous" and I can't acess it. The Help window is of no help whatsoever, and I want to know how I can access this file. Help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Vista decides to be mean and say it's "potentially dangerous" and I can't acess it. The Help window is of no help whatsoever, and I want to know how I can access this file. Help would be appreciated.

What sort of file is it?

Perhaps your security software see's a virus and is trying to protect your system. Maybe the best thing to do is delete it.

Do you have antivirus? Have you scanned the file?

I have never seen a "potentially dangerous" message. I imagine it is the uac handling it.

Unless you are absolutely positively sure of what kind of file you are opening, or supposedly opening, it is a good general rule to follow the advice your computer is giving you. And in all honesty, if you were sure of what the file is, you would also know how to open it anyway.

I don't think your going to find help opening a potentially dangerous file here. This site is about removing such files.

Domo

Domo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a music file. And it doesn't even show up in my folder. It's from a friend of mine, and I watched him create the file at his home computer. Over msn, when I got back to my own house, he sent it to me. When I tried opening it after the transfer had completed on MSN, it said it was potentially dangerous, and does not even show up in the folder. I know for a fact that it is not dangerous.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Sounds like your antivirus program put it in quarantine.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
try to access the file in safe mode or safe mode w/ networking.

To get into the Windows Vista Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode or Safe MODE w/ Networking" and press your Enter key.

safe mode is like a diagnostics mode, if you boot to safe mode it just loads minimal services and drivers. In this way it will not load whatever program is blocking your access to the file.

If your able to access it, that means there is an application that is blocking the access to the file.

Try disabling the security on your computer

go to start>run>type msconfig>
under services, uncheck all of the boxes which relates to the brand of your internet security
click apply and close and reboot the system.

NOTE:music files cannot be played in safe mode, but you can view it.

Edited by wytboy55, 01 February 2008 - 01:43 AM.