Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted registry boondoggle

• Please log in to reply

bdada

bdada

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello-
I have 2 problems, but will only deal with the first here and start a new post after this is resolved. I found my computer infected with rxddnvj.exe. Somewhere on the internet I read a suggested fix that had me go into the registry to seek and destroy this monster. Did I know that it is strongly suggested that I should make a backup of the registry before making any changes? Yes, I read that. Did I do it? No. Did I learn my lesson? Absolutely yes, even though it was to late. The internet fix gave me a specific path to search for the rxddnvj.exe problem. When I got there, there was no reference there, so I decided to search the registry for it. I found it in 2 other places and deleted it on the spot. Big mistake. When I restarted my computer I could not log into windows no matter what. I knew I really had made a bonehead mistake and had a much bigger problems now. I eventually made my way to an article from microsoft entitled "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting". I followed the instructions line by line until I got to part 2 line 7 "Open the System Volume Information folder". It said I would find "one or more _restore{GUID} folders..." Of course there are none in my System Volume Information folder. As I understand it these would be used to restore my registry to an earlier state. Without the specified info and having already goofed up, I'm not surewhat to do next. I've lost my nerve to try anything else without direction. Can anyone please bail me out of this? My biggest concern is saving family pictures that I also should have backed up. Did I learn my lesson? Absolutely Yes, hopefully not to late. Thanks-

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bdada...

I'm assuming you are using your XP cd to boot your machine and have been using Recovery Console. Is this a correct assumption? If you have the XP installation cd and are able to enter Recovery console, we may be able to roll back the registry using command line.

wannabe1

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello Wannabe1-
Yes I am using the recovery console and the XP disc. My machine is a Dell and after I posted this I read of a repair using the Windows XP install disc where you are given the option to repair windows instead of re-install. I haven't done anything yet - is this a recommended route to take? I appreciate your response and will wait for your reply.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have the option to repair the current installation with your disk, then yes...it's a good option for you. Some OEM cd's don't include the option to repair. Are you using This Guide? It's pretty easy to follow.

You will have to install all your updates again when you finish.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello wannabe1-
Yes,
that is what I read. I will give it a try and reply with the outcome. Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The problem with doing a Repair Install is you lose all your Windows Updates and have to reinstall some applications. If you can complete the procedure you were following, none of that will be necessary.

Did you follow the link to this MS article: http://support.micro....com/kb/309531/

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Gotta be able to boot the machine to do that procedure... :)

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello Ztrucker and wannabe1-
I have not yet tried the repair usingmy xp installation disc. I wanted to be clear on a few things.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ask away..... :)

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello Ztrucker and wannabe1-
I have not yet tried the repair usingmy xp installation disc. I wanted to be clear on a few things. After doing part one of the article "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting". I am able to log on to windows, but things aren't quite right (No individual log on accounts, programs won't open etc). In part 2 I was to use windows explorer to open the System Volume Information folder- I was able to do so (by allowing hidden folders to be seen), but, the article said I should see "one or more _restore{GUID} folders..." , but there was not any _restore folders there- only a text file and a system file (Mount point manager remote database) that is 0 k in size. Now to make things even more complicated, I just went back to check the name of the 0k system folder and low and behold, there is a _restore folder! Now, you've got to believe me, that wasn't there yesterday when I tried to do the restore, nor was it there earlier today when I was double checking my situation. I assume this was just made and therefore useless to my restoration attempt. The folder date is today at 12:43, however the instructions state "it is important not to use the most current folder..." aparently these _restore folders contain restore points that I would be copying to my system32 folder and then doing a system restore from. Because they were made today they wouldn't be much help. Given that situation, would you agree that the best path is to use the installation disc repair, or since I can log into widows is there another path I should take? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Without a known good restore point to roll back to, I would go with the repair. :)

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I agree-it seems it's my only option at this point. I will try it tomorrow morning and post the results. Thanks again-

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It may not be the only option, but it's probably the the best option under the circumstances. If we were sure just what keys were removed or changed in the registry, we could create them. As it stands now, it would be a shot in the dark. I'd go with the repair...you'll have better results.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just can't win. The repair seems to be hung. I've been running it for over an hour and the progress bar hasn't moved for over 40 minutes. Are there any magic bullets for this problem or should I just be patient?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At what point is it hung up? Is it somewhere between 34 and 37 minutes remaining?